Shimano ST-F51 Gear shifter wrong gear count.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zakitc

Hi, all
I have a problem. I recently took a bike to service because gears where not shifting. It turned out that derrraileur and shifter was different companies (SRAM vs Shimano) and derreauler was replaced. Gears are shifting okay, but service messed up shifters - they lost indicators on both of them, so I have no idea on what gear am I. Is there anywhere I can buy them or make someting up? Like paint a ring with red bit sticking out.. I just can't find picture how it should look....and fit in to the whole system.
I went back, but they said they couldn't do anything about it as there is no spare parts and they have no idea where are originals......And basically - if I want to replace them to new - they would find a way to make it profitable.
I actually asked how much that would cost - out of curiosity - they said - 30 pounds for set of shifters, 15 pounds for work as they charge for hour and changing them would take an hour- that was the moment that I new I wouldn't be going back. Because I was the one buying those shifters in the first place - they are 11 pounds on eBay....with delivery....

figbat

Slippery scientist
Why do you need to know what gear you're in? Just use whatever gear suits the situation - if it's too hard, select a lower one. Too spinny, use a higher one. If you run out of gears one way or the other, then so be it - knowing what gear is selected doesn't change this.

figbat

Slippery scientist
OK, I misinterpreted the OP. Yes, if parts were there and now are not I would be kicking up a fuss. I doubt your shifters are so obscure that replacements are not available.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I doubt your shifters are so obscure that replacements are not available.
Suspect you can't get the little red 'arrows' separately - but a capable pair of used shifters would be not much money (notwithstanding odd approach of servicing place).
Image:
1596726982894.png

faster

Über Member
SRAM and Shimano are fully compatible with each other, quite common to see SRAM mechs used with Shimano shifters, even the cassettes are interchangeable.

I've never seen a SRAM mech used with Shimano shifters. Unless un-indexed, they are for all intents and purposes, incompatible. I think the cassettes are pretty much all interchangeable though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've never seen a SRAM mech used with Shimano shifters. Unless un-indexed, they are for all intents and purposes, incompatible. I think the cassettes are pretty much all interchangeable though.
I ditched the 'revoshift' levers on my Saracen Blitz for Shimano triggers, they worked fine, a month or so later I removed the SRAM mech and fitted a Deore (cos it was nicer)

faster

Über Member
Early on, SRAM produced shifters that were cross compatible with the Shimano 1.7 ratio.

I see I'm a bit out of date, sorry. :rolleyes:

I think the SRAM shifters that were Shimano compatable were the early 'Gripshift' branded shifters that were everywhere in the mid to late 90's. They had to be Shimano compatible because early on, I don't think SRAM made derailleurs.

This doesn't explain Raleighnut's SRAM derailleur that worked with Shimano revoshift and trigger shifters. Maybe SRAM made some Shimano compatible derailleurs too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think the SRAM shifters that were Shimano compatable were the early 'Gripshift' branded shifters that were everywhere in the mid to late 90's. They had to be Shimano compatible because early on, I don't think SRAM made derailleurs.

This doesn't explain Raleighnut's SRAM derailleur that worked with Shimano revoshift and trigger shifters. Maybe SRAM made some Shimano compatible derailleurs too.
Yep, it's hanging up in my shed, I've used it as a 'test mech' on several bikes just to see if I liked how they rode before spending any more money on them (I've got enough bits to build up a couple of bikes in there) if I like the frame I'll then spend a bit of money on them. A couple of frames I've been given/aquired have failed this test and were passed on.

there is also a reverse swing 'Rapid Rise' 7 speed Shimano mech in there if anyone wants one, that came off a bike the insurance sent me to replace a bike nicked in a burglary from the house.

OP
OP
Z

zakitc

Thank you all for help. I understood what have they done. Basically - there is nothing lost - but they are not...very knowledgable people.
So - when you take cover off both shifters - there is like a black ''thing'' sticking out which usually is covered with red paint or film - don't know as didn't see initially. Somehow they have managed to clean or wipe those off.
So - I just put a pieces of red electrical tape on them and job is done.
Again - thank you all for reply and apologies for taking so long to answer. I was rebuilding front fork on the same bike. As it was my first time and no bike stand, no tools and no rust removers -it was challanging and time consuming. A lot of research and tries.

Top Bottom