Shimano to SRAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Newgirl1426

Regular
Sorry for the noob question but what is the basics of changing to SRAM? I got a Vilano Shadow that has STI shifters but the rest is probably the cheapest of Shimano parts. My boyfriend just got me an Avail 2 with Teagra so this would be a second bike. I have seen Sora groupsets for around 350 but would like to try the SRAM probably the Rival set. Total beginner at this so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.http://www.vilanobikes.com/vilano-shadow-21sp-shimano-road-bike.html

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You will need new shifters and mechs. The Vilano is unlikely to be more than an 8 or 9 speed cassette so you will probably need a new cassette and chain. You may need new cables and worst case scenario if you go with 11 speed Sram you may need a new rear wheel or freehub if the Vilano wheel does not accept an 11 speed cassette. I suspect you wouldn't see much change out of £400 to £500 to get it shod with Sram Rival
Don't take this the wrong way though, but I wouldn't bother. The bike will be perfectly functional as is. If you want a Sram bike keep an eye open on Planet X they have some deals that are cheaper than buying the equivalent components and putting together yourself.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You will need new shifters and mechs. The Vilano is unlikely to be more than an 8 or 9 speed cassette so you will probably need a new cassette and chain. You may need new cables and worst case scenario if you go with 11 speed Sram you may need a new rear wheel or freehub if the Vilano wheel does not accept an 11 speed cassette. I suspect you wouldn't see much change out of £400 to £500 to get it shod with Sram Rival
Don't take this the wrong way though, but I wouldn't bother. The bike will be perfectly functional as is. If you want a Sram bike keep an eye open on Planet X they have some deals that are cheaper than buying the equivalent components and putting together yourself.
What he said , much of a muchness really i have sram, shimano and bar end shifters on different bikes and they all do the same thing just in slightly different ways .

The OPs bike is 7 speed so its likely as said you would need a new wheel, all you would be gaining is smaller jumps between gears . @vickster likes sram as she says they suit smaller hands.
Why not pop into a bike shop that has a bike with them in and try them 1st ?

OP
OP
Newgirl1426

Newgirl1426

Regular
Thank you. Trying first is ideal but I have had a hard time seeing anything short of 2k here on bikes as everything is Shimano Liv/Giant, Diamondback, Cannondale, and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if I did miss some somewhere though. This would be an upgrade for a bike that I probably wouldn't ride much anymore as the Avail is my baby. Thanks for telling me about Planet X, I will check them out as I would much rather buy a kit in a bundle than each piece single, just have not seen sites that did it for SRAM only Shimano.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thank you. Trying first is ideal but I have had a hard time seeing anything short of 2k here on bikes as everything is Shimano Liv/Giant, Diamondback, Cannondale, and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if I did miss some somewhere though. This would be an upgrade for a bike that I probably wouldn't ride much anymore as the Avail is my baby. Thanks for telling me about Planet X, I will check them out as I would much rather buy a kit in a bundle than each piece single, just have not seen sites that did it for SRAM only Shimano.
A lot of people have been going 11 speed , i bet you can pick up some 10 speed sram apex etc on ebay cheap enough, i keep looking as im thinking of turning my commuter to sram to run the same on both road bikes .

vickster

Legendary Member
What he said , much of a muchness really i have sram, shimano and bar end shifters on different bikes and they all do the same thing just in slightly different ways .

The OPs bike is 7 speed so its likely as said you would need a new wheel, all you would be gaining is smaller jumps between gears . @vickster likes sram as she says they suit smaller hands.
Why not pop into a bike shop that has a bike with them in and try them 1st ?
The 11 speed rival has chunkier hoods than the 10 speed (I have both) but still better for me than the Shimano ones I've tried

There are full groupsets for sale on eBay

boydj

Legendary Member
The Vilano frame is probably not worth upgrading the components on. It would cost a lot of money, as well as time and effort to put good components on a so-so frame when you already have another bike with a good frame and decent components which will be worth upgrading as they wear out.

I'd keep it for a winter bike or for general running around to save wear and tear on your good bike.

OP
OP
Newgirl1426

Newgirl1426

Regular
The Vilano frame is probably not worth upgrading the components on. It would cost a lot of money, as well as time and effort to put good components on a so-so frame when you already have another bike with a good frame and decent components which will be worth upgrading as they wear out.

I'd keep it for a winter bike or for general running around to save wear and tear on your good bike.
That's what I was thinking. Not wanting to do a whole new bike just add one or two gears to have it a bit better when I ride it. I started looking at Claris as that might work but have been wanting to try SRAM just for kicks.

outlash

also available in orange
As it happens I've just bought a bike with SRAM Rival 1 and my first impressions are that it's no real difference. Once you've got used to one lever double tap instead of the Shimano two lever system for gear changes it does the job just as well. Well it would on mine if it was delivered to me with indexing done properly....

Levo-Lon

Guru
As a few have said, id save up and buy a bike with the spec you want as you get a lot for your money with a shrewd buy ie last years model or Planet X type bike builders..

Top Bottom