Shimano wheels - R500 or RS010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pfm401

I've found myself with a pair of each, will likely fit one and sell the other.

Any views on which are better?

Thanks, Paul.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have R500s on my old (now unused) winter commuter. They've given me several years of sterling winter, cruddy weather service with no problems. No spokes broken, hub serviced twice, no difficulties there, rims stayed true as a true thing.
Weight for R500s =1884g
Weight for RS10s=1845g

Spoke counts
R500s
20 Fr
24 Rear

RS10s
16 fr
20 rear

If i was concerned with strength i'd go for the R500s simply based on spoke count and my previous experience of them

RS10s may look better, may be just as strong ? I can't comment, never had them.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have RS10s and the bladed spokes & their nipples are not typically held in stock & had to be ordered when a couple broke on me. I have more confidence in wheels with more spokes but I do like the RS10s.

pawl

Legendary Member
I've found myself with a pair of each, will likely fit one and sell the other.

Any views on which are better?

Thanks, Paul.

Had the rs 10s on my bike for two years with no probs As far as I am concerned my weight is not a problem as I am only 10st11lbs. Wating for them to wear out so I can upgrade to Ultegra Sorry can’t comment on the 500s

I'm tempted to say use the rs10's and that the r500s are trash and worth only pennies, and request you sell the r500s to me for next to nothing......

But no, I shouldn't do that... I used my r500s for about 7 years through all weather types and did about 18-20k miles on them until I wore through the rear rim (brake track wear) they didn't even once go untrue until couple of weeks before it failed... I knew I was pushing my luck... And I weigh about 110 - 115kgs.

The freewheels on them are trash though, but I doubt there any different to the ones on the other wheels (which I haven't tried)

gbb

Legendary Member
It's a personal experience of course and danthemans experience with the freehub on R500s is obviously poor, conversely my R500s, which have done a few winters and not spared any slush, rain etc etc...are still on the original freehub.
It's a lottery I guess.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
What type of bike are you going to use them on?
Weight weeny/ultra light racer? = RS010
or General commuter/road bike? = R500

Either way regular inspection/maintenance is essential.

JMTPW

Sorry, this is off track, but I rarely know what all these abbreviations used are supposed to actually mean..
I had thought I wasn't that old as an average for the users on here, maybe I just missed the whole hip era of "text language" or such.
I mean I know what an lbs is and some other basic things but it seems these abbreviations get longer and longer.
I'd just like to say (meant in a funny/kind not in any way racist/prejudice way or such) "I don't understand your jive talk"

Top Bottom