Shimano's polymer-coated cables - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
They probably do run a little smoother than plain SS cables but the polymer coating comes off and clogs up the cable ends. Not worth the extra money over a standard cable pulled out of the big box at the bike shop, I reckon.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
They probably do run a little smoother than plain SS cables but the polymer coating comes off and clogs up the cable ends. Not worth the extra money over a standard cable pulled out of the big box at the bike shop, I reckon.

Can't say I have noticed that on my bike. Maybe when I have done more miles.

They are fairly expensive as far as cables go but they were fitted to my bike as OEM so I'm not complaining.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm with Global on this one. My experience with coated cables have been ended prematurely due to the coating flaking off at the shifters and causing poor shifting. Good old plain stainless steel for me (must be genuine Shimano IMO).

Nebulous

Guru
My bike came with them. They became chewed up and sticky. Lbs didn't like them and recommended I put on standard ones, which I did. They said they've had some customers who dislike them so much that they ask for them to be swapped out on a new bike.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The coating eventually does come off and can cause problems clogging up in the casings - on saying that mine have been on for 3 yrs + now without a hitch. But will replace with god quality ss ones when I do

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SS with the shimano outers (with the plastic lining). Even Decathlon's own are good (the Stainless ones)

Got Jagwire on the MTB (not sure which) but that's been flawless shifting last 3 years.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
SS with the shimano outers (with the plastic lining). Even Decathlon's own are good (the Stainless ones)

Got Jagwire on the MTB (not sure which) but that's been flawless shifting last 3 years.

+1 for the Decathlon outers and inners. Seem pretty good quality, actually not unlike Jagwire ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Getting the shimano version rather than generic cheapy ebay cables that have no obvious heritage is just a way for me to avoid shonky, low quality copies that can stretch, rub or fail. It's a couple of quid for peace of mind and assured ride enjoyment.

Top Bottom