Shimergo with powershift shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I've been running a Veloce 10 spds ultrashift shifters with an 8 spds cassette for a couple of years now. I was wondering if antbody has tried the new 2011 - 12 - 13 version of powershift shifters with shimano components?

The Veloce Ultrashift left shifters has a ratchet.... no index, I believe that is what makes them work with shimano front derailleurs. No idea how the new powershift work but I read they work with 2 or 3 chainrings which might suggest that are not indexed.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
I read somewhere "For 2010, Athena, Centaur and Veloso were ultra-shift (multiple gear release). For 2011, everything below Chorus is power-shift (single gear release)" that would indicate to me that ultra-shift and powershift have nothing to do with working in a shimango setup but having the LH shifter working like a friction type shifting - not indexed.

Can anybody speak from personal experience with these new Campy models, post 2010?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I haven't used the new powershift levers so ignoring them for the moment. Campy have also changed the designs so much and not being in the trade I can't guarantee I know everything but basically for left hand shifting:

Campy shifters started out using almost the same ratchet in the left as the right. This meant that the cable for the left moved the same amount as the right per click. It followed that you had to click twice to get the chain to move between chainrings because of the greater distance involved. In practice you often clicked three times to move the chain fully over and then one back to trim the front mech.

They then re-designed the shifting with the same ratchet so you could shift two or three clicks with one sweep of the paddle- so you could change rings with one sweep of the lever or a full depression of the button.

This is still the basic design for Ultrashift as I understand it.

There was a brief fling with QS - this did away with the old style ratchet and introduced an escape mechanism based on an indexed drum. The drum was spring loaded and when the button was depressed it activated a release lever and allowed the drum and cable to unwind a set amount to match the gap between CAMPAGNOLO chainrings. There are a couple of trim features but this was more difficult to set up for Shimano.

As I understand it Powershift is based on an escape mechanism which is a bit different than QS - but if so it will be indexed and therefore a bit difficult to work with a Shimano chainring - hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will come along.

niggle

I've been running a Veloce 10 spds ultrashift shifters with an 8 spds cassette for a couple of years now. I was wondering if antbody has tried the new 2011 - 12 - 13 version of powershift shifters with shimano components?

The Veloce Ultrashift left shifters has a ratchet.... no index, I believe that is what makes them work with shimano front derailleurs. No idea how the new powershift work but I read they work with 2 or 3 chainrings which might suggest that are not indexed.
What front mech have you been using? I have heard of problems with Ultrashift and Shimano front mechs, would be handy to know for a touring bike build I am planning.

goody

Veteran
On my commuter I've got Veloce shifters, sora front mech (double) and nine speed105 rear (the shifters were bought last year and only change up one at a time not sure if thats ultra or powershift). I think I've done about 5000 miles on this setup seems to work fine. My sunday bike is all veloce a couple of months old and only done about 600 miles the gear change is a lot lighter which I'm guessing is down to stronger springs or the different ratio of the shimano derailleurs on the commuter. The right hand shifter on the commuter has just started slipping when changing up it will not stop at the top 3 sprockets but go straight to the smallest one. Not an unusual problem it seems, anyone know what parts and where I can get them to rebuild the shifter? A bit dissapointing really as the cost of replacement shimano shifters was why I went shimergo in the first place.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've had no problems with Ultrashift and Shimano FD.
I do have a set of Powershift levers in reserve (took them off new full campag bike because I hated the lack of multiple upshift) but I've not tried them doing a Shimergo with them yet.
I've read that Powershift has a coarser ratchet than Ultrashift so trimming might be an issue.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
What front mech have you been using? I have heard of problems with Ultrashift and Shimano front mechs, would be handy to know for a touring bike build I am planning.

I'm using a Shimano 105 FD

I've had no problems with Ultrashift and Shimano FD.
I do have a set of Powershift levers in reserve (took them off new full campag bike because I hated the lack of multiple upshift) but I've not tried them doing a Shimergo with them yet.
I've read that Powershift has a coarser ratchet than Ultrashift so trimming might be an issue.

I've done the research recently and you can indeed use Powershift levers for a Shimergo configuration. Campagnolo have moved Ultrashift capability to the very top in their quality range. Interesting for some, the new Campy Ultrashift 11 speeds works with Shimano 9 speeds cassette without any special cable routing or another devise.

Top Bottom