Shin splints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hiya, bit of advice please.

Had shin splints many years ago when playing football, and they have bothered me at odd times ever since. Can't even go for a 2 mile walk 2 days running as shins would be too sore, however, been cycling for 4 years now and they have never bothered me at all...until this last week.

I usually cycle about 1000 miles a year but this year I have ramped it up and have managed to do 1000 already (yay me!), but, have noticed a pain in my left shin for the last 3 rides, exactly the same as shin splints pain (ie bloody painful). Stops as soon as I stop riding. This last month has seen the most miles I have ever done, around 400, and I'm just wondering if this is all related to the extra miles I am putting in - I did think that shin splints was just caused by the foot hitting the ground and never for a moment thought cycling could cause shin splints to return....any ideas please?

If it helps, I am also mucking about with the seat height at the minute as seem to be getting sore thighs after 40 odd miles, not sure if this can be connected to the shin splint pain though...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Or maybe it is compartment syndrome? :whistle:

Whatever it is, I hope that you sort it out soon!

OP
OP
iancity

iancity

Veteran
Thanks for that Colin, never heard of it and now worried haha.

I dont think it is though, mainly because the pain is exactly like the pain I get with shin splints. NHS describes compartment syndrome as
  • cramping pain during exercise, most often in the legs
  • swelling or a visibly bulging muscle
  • a tingling sensation
  • the affected area turning pale and cold
  • in severe cases, difficulty moving the affected body part
and I don't think its one of those.

Cheers tho, another thing to look out for ;-)

Top Bottom