Shin Splints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

This one's aimed mainly at runners/cyclists.

I've been out of action running as well as cycling for 6 months now due to a form of shin splints (hence my name:smile:). Problem seems to have gradually healed, but not completely.

I've lost patience waiting for it to fully heal, and have started gradually training on the bike again. Going for 2nd ride tonight (only about an hour steady pace).

I'm concerned it will slow the healing process, but at the same time very bored of not being able to do much. Swimming gets boring, I use weights to maintain upper body strength, but thats about it.

So, just wondering if anyones suffered the same thing??

Any thought appeciated ;)

I stopped morris dancing because of the same problem. My best guess is that as cycling is non-impact, you should be fine with it. In fact, stop walking at all and cycle everywhere. ;)

But were you or were you not a Morris Dancer?

Did the cycling make the Shinsplints worse> I thought shin splint were asociated with impact sports like running (I'm also not a doctor, nor a Morris dancer).

Blue

Legendary Member
Back in my running days a pre/post training stretch helped solve this problem for me.

What I used to do was kneel as if in prayer, with the toes pointing backwards. Then I lowered my ass down onto my heels while keeping the back upright. That produced a stretch in my shin that I held for 20-30 secs and repeated a few times. I hope you can follow that ok.

I don't know if it would work for everyone but it may be worth trying if you think it may assist. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Haha, cheers guys - swift reponses ;)

I'm pretty sure the problem originated from running. A few months into the injury my sports therapist advised me to start cycling again, but on a low gear, spinning rather than forcing in a high gear. Tried this, wasnt convinced it was helping though, not that it made it much worse.

Months on, the shin is fine most of the time, just occasionally feel a twinge. Frankly though, I cant be arsed with waiting around for more months for it to (maybe) heal.

I'm also thinking cycling is non-impact therefore I should be ok to ease back into it gradually.

I guess the answer is to keep at it until it starts to become a problem again.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Blue said:
Back in my running days a pre/post training stretch helped solve this problem for me.

What I used to do was kneel as if in prayer, with the toes pointing backwards. Then I lowered my ass down onto my heels while keeping the back upright. That produced a stretch in my shin that I held for 20-30 secs and repeated a few times. I hope you can follow that ok.

I don't know if it would work for everyone but it may be worth trying if you think it may assist. Good luck.
Cheers mate, i'll try this !

To be more specific of the injury, the area effected is the inside of my shin, about 3 inches up from my ankle. Some people get the problem on the outside of the leg.

What was yours Blue?

Chris James

Über Member
I have been suffering with shin splints on and off this winter because I have been out a fair bit in stiff mountain boots after a long lay off. I am off to Scotland next week and only have my winter boots as my lightweights are being resoled, and I am a bit nervous about the physical havoc I will wreck in three days.

But I have not found cycling a problem at all. Walking yes, cycling no!

Blue

Legendary Member
ShinSplint said:
Cheers mate, i'll try this !

To be more specific of the injury, the area effected is the inside of my shin, about 3 inches up from my ankle. Some people get the problem on the outside of the leg.

What was yours Blue?

With me, it was the outside of the shin.

Do you have an overpronation problem at all - esp if allied to rolling high onto your toes before push-off? (If you try this with your foot as you sit you will find it strains the inside of the shin). If you do you may find that a shoe with appropriate support, or an orthotic, may help. Worth a try. (BTW, I don't have any qualifications in the area - just a lot of personal experience - so you can ignore what I say if you prefer!!).

jimboalee

Shinsplints happen when you don't stretch the Achilles tendon and calfs enough BEFORE running / walking.
They can also happen if the walking boot is not flexible enough to allow simple foot flexure - pulling the toes up.

"Pushing down the wall" calf stretch is the way to go BEFORE any execise.
Couple this with "Good morning exercise" and quads stretching.

Also do some "Tippie-Toes" stretching.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Cheers guys,

I always do plenty of stretching before and after running, but not so much with cyling (instead I just set off slow for the first few minutes).

jimboalee said:
Seriously,

Ralgex stick.

This might be worth a try. However, I dont often get pain / inflamation during running/cycling (actually its never inflamed), its usually just a slight pain either the day after, or actually even 2-3 days after.

montage

God Almighty
Blue said:
Do you have an overpronation problem at all - ....<snip>.... If you do you may find that a shoe with appropriate support, or an orthotic, may help. Worth a try.

This is a brilliant post, overpronation is exactly what caused my shin splint problem. I was out of action from running for 6 months, and suffered a few months later.

jimboalee said:
Keep your shins warm.
Ok....I see jimboalee is a great fountain of knowledge, but be careful with this advise.
Shin splints is a generic term for pain in the shins, just like a stomatch ache is a generic term for pain in the stomatch. There are different types of shin splints, fractures, compartment syndrome etc....compartment syndrome is the one which I had, so is the one which my field of knowledge covers. Symptons for shin splints are allways more or less the same, making it hard to distinguish what type of shin splints you have.

In your lower leg/calf area there are four muscles which are contained in a "sheath". Compartment syndrome is when the muscle at the front - i.e. along the shin, swells up and exerts alot of pressure, and the sheath is struggling to stretch. In severe cases, part of the muscle can become oxygen deprived and die, this is a 999 job if it ever reaches this stage (No need to worry, you would be screaming in pain if this was the case).

So what causes this muscle to swell up? Well, suddenly upping the training can put stress on your legs that they cannot cope this, that is one thing. The other, which was the case for me, is a pronation of the foot which will need to be addressed by insoles. While running, as the foot lands, the front muscle out of the four in your leg (no idea of the muscle names :biggrin:) will be working extra hard to slow the pronation motion down - this part is difficult to explain without using some form of model to demonstrate.

So back to Jimboalee's "keep the shins warm" advise, if you do have compartment syndrome, then keep the shins cool! Ice after excersize for roughly 10 minutes, applying the ice up and down the shin.

If you had fractures then it would be unlikely that there is much pain at all while cycling, fractures are mainly caused by hard impact etc. Compartment syndrome however, could effect your cycling. If the foot moves up and down (if you don't get what I mean by that, suspend your leg in mid air, point your toes up, then point them down several times) then the muscles affected by compartments syndrome will be aggitated. However there is much less vertical movement of the foot in cycling than there is running, so there should be far less pain.

To try and help, you can do the sit on your feet/prayer stretch as mentioned above, or try and write the alphabet in the air with your toes.

Compartments syndrome is very unlikely to go away, and will have to be managed for aslong as you keep cycling/running up etc. However it does improve, a great deal. I run reguarly, and completed my first 20 miler trail run last sunday. No grief from my shins (the fact that run was the most painful few hours of my life is a different story). I deem myself to be fully recovered, and very very very rarely to I feel a twinge on my shin...although that twinge does remind me not to be silly with my training. A few weeks ago, I ran every day, most of which was short distance speed work - this was the last time I remember experiencing any compartment syndrome feeling and it did not hold me back.

Another thing, people say "do not push through the pain under any circumstances!!!"...but this has to be taken with moderation. You WILL feel slight pain, but this is unavoidable. For this, we need the very scientific "pain scale". 0 being painless 10 being a shark biting your head off. If you feel the pain in your shins ever gets to 5, stop, rest.

Do not take painkillers at all while running/cycling as this can mask pain, leading you to believe you are lower on the pain scale than you actually are. Pain scale 5+ means you are damaging yourself.

On a side note, static stretching before excersize is a no no. Imagine your muscles as a piece of chewing gum. Try stretch that chewing gum before chewing it. Rip/snap. Now try chewing the chewing gum and stretching it. Bingo. There are several stretches you can do pre excersize, such as swinging your legs etc - Not sure if you are allready doing these or are on static stretching, but this is a seperate debate and shouldn't be affecting your shins.

Slight pain after the excersize is promising, means you are on the mend (or just developing) so extra care in taking things slow and steady.

Hope this helps,

andygates

I get shinsplints whenever I get into serious distance running unless I'm careful * (training up for a half-marathon). It's definitely the running that sets it off, and I have to take a break from running until it clears up. "Training through the pain" just makes it come back worse: don't do it.

For me, the bike doesn't seem to affect my shinsplints at all. They don't get worse and they do still heal.

Rest, a complete break from running, ibuprofen.

* Careful = Reasonably new, correct shoes; lose some weight; try not to pound tarmac all the time, etc etc...

Top Bottom