Shiny new womens hybrid bike wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speedy gonzalez

Über Member
Currently have a Specialized Vita with mudguards and a pannier added. Will have had it seven years next year and feel like something new.
Cycling is mainly along cycle paths and roads with a grassy bumpy stretch along a river. Don't use it for work. Live so close to work it's not worth it with all the unlocking and locking! Actual employer is based some distance away with all of the C2W places near their place ,so can't really use that scheme even if I was to cycle to work.
Most of my cycling is practical - into town, to the shops, to relatives and to the gym. So nothing exciting. Currently top of my list is one of the Liv City Alights but also considering the Decathlon Hoprider 500. Budget is £400/£500 possibly £600. It would need to be able to take a rear pannier rack and mudguards. Any other ones I should look at?
Not sure whether to go for disc brakes or not as I've never used them.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You could use C2W if you wanted. No-one cares whether you actually ride to work or not.

Can't help with which bike you get; would just recommend trying them out and see which you like best. Rack and mudguards can be fitted to most bikes even if they don't come as standard.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d go for the Liv with discs. Also look at the Whyte R7 range, might be a bit over budget but there are often deals

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both would be fine I'd have thought but I don't know if they would give you anything more than your current mount apart from the disc brakes. Both also look they might be rather heavier although if your routes are mostly flat it shouldn't bother you too much if you're just popping down the shops for some fajitas or tacos.
While you think about that here's some Pat Boone for you;

View: https://youtu.be/ajEkzwf7WNY

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The Pinnacle range from Evans gets my vote.
I've put a rack and panniers on mine, went on a 350 miles tour on it.
It might be slightly over geared for your purpose, but, who knows, maybe one day riding the hills will take your fancy.

OP
OP
S

speedy gonzalez

Über Member
Thanks Pat. Another one for the list.
I've messaged one of my local bike shops to see of they have the Whyte Carnaby or the Liv in stock so I can test ride them. They were great last time I bought a bike from them and I think ordered one of the bikes in for me to try. I've also asked if they've got anything else in that's worth trying.
They've also got a good test ride area out the back.

OP
OP
S

speedy gonzalez

Über Member
Unfortunately my local shop hasn't got the Liv or the Whyte in stock but going down to talk bikes with them either this Saturday or next. Can also have a look at other bikes there. Once frame size is sorted he has said he'll order both in for me to have a test ride.

Top Bottom