Shipping a bike to Oz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bike_Me

Hi all,

Would anyone have any words of wisdom on shipping a bike overseas, more specifically, Sydney, Australia?

I'll be moving back home in September and would like to bring my bike with me. I've explored a few options from checking-in my bike on the flight home, to shipping with a removalist or courier. My main concern is packing and ensuring that no/minimal damage is caused during transit without spending an arm and a leg, along with reducing as much weight as possible.

I've been in contact with a few shipping companies who offer bike boxes along with 'over-cases' for extra protection. Is the extra protection needed or will a few rolls of bubble wrap along with a bike box be efficient? Would it also be a worthwhile investing a bike bag?

I have also been told that the bike will need to be absolutely pristine to keep the mob in customs happy, is this true?

Any help/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Bike_me

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have you explored the 'other' option?

Sell your bike before you go, save ££££'s on the shipping as well as the hassle and risk, buy the same or equivalent bike when you get there.

I don't know how bike prices in Oz compare to the UK market but with an exchange rate of around 1.8 aus$ to the pound it might be possible to order and pay for a bike with a UK credit card before you go and collect it when you arrive? Just a bit of random thinking, don't know if this would actually work or be possible.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have shipped a couple of frames to Aus amongst other places without any drama .

i always cover all tubes in heating pipe foam and encase in a laminate floor underlay felt envelope before final packing and boxing as far as i am aware all have survived the trips unscathed , cant think for the life which courier i used

Crankarm

Guru
Why can't you ride your bike to Sydney? Ok it would take longer but would be one hell of a ride ^_^. Or if you must take it with you, take it when you fly?

Last edited:
Just FYI, emirates have a 30kg luggage allowance that you can make up anyway you care to. I bring a folding bike most times when I travel, but you can bring a full size. They code share with qantas - who I see are now 30kg too (used to be 23 until recently)

And +1 on bio security, both for customs and because of the actual dangerous of pathogens in the soil causing environmental or economic harm.

OP
OP
B

Bike_Me

Thanks for the help Biggs, Crankarm and jefmcg.

i have shipped a couple of frames to Aus amongst other places without any drama .

i always cover all tubes in heating pipe foam and encase in a laminate floor underlay felt envelope before final packing and boxing as far as i am aware all have survived the trips unscathed , cant think for the life which courier i used

Didn't think about heating pipe foam, great idea!

Why can't you ride your bike to Sydney? Ok it would take longer but would be one hell of a ride ^_^. Or if you must take it with you, take it when you fly?

haha that would be a great idea Crankarm, but I'll be travelling with my pregnant wife and I don't believe she'd share the same view as me..

Just FYI, emirates have a 30kg luggage allowance that you can make up anyway you care to. I bring a folding bike most times when I travel, but you can bring a full size. They code share with qantas - who I see are now 30kg too (used to be 23 until recently)

And +1 on bio security, both for customs and because of the actual dangerous of pathogens in the soil causing environmental or economic harm.

It was a toss between flying Emirates or Singapore. We've always flown with Singapore on the A380 and thus far have no complaints - the only downfall of course this time around is the limit of 23kg. I looked into Emirates, and while the allowance of 30kg is very appealing, there are so many bad reviews in terms of service, and also around £300 more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom