shipping a frame from usa????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

naffets

Does anyone have any experience of shipping cycles from the us
i was planning on buying a frame fom california boxed would measure 42" long 30" high
was quoted £350 and i didnt mention any value
seemed extremely expensive.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
For that price it must be air freight. Much cheaper (and slower) by sea.

Coco

I think there is a size limit on most 'regular' services. Its usually a combination of length and height and width. I've often bought rocket parts which are basically long tubes and have to watch that they don't go over a certain size otherwise the costs aren't worth it. Also be aware that some of the cheaper non-air methods aren't insured.

You also need to consider taxes and duty that will be due when the frame hits the UK.

I would first ask the shipper to see if they have preferential rates with a carrier. It make sense for them to ship it origin US to the UK. If not and its down to you then I would call one of two well known carriers who operate globally. You can call call centre for a quote to bring something in from the US but you will need the measurements of the box and its weight. The other and maybe cheaper option is to talk to a company that deals with all the carriers to see if they can make it cheaper. I have experience with shipping bike frames and they do not need to go via freight and can go via a carrier however can be expensive due to the dimensions as Coco and Gerry talk of above but they get their quick and can be fully tracked. If you get stuck PM me and I can point you a little further but I am sure the rest of the CC forum will chip in !.

Top Bottom