Shipping Forecast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Well that's bollocks for a start 'cos you can see a lot further than 3 miles. How come you can sometimes see calais from dover, that's about 20 miles...

Because you're standing on a cliff, and you can see the cliffs on the other side. At sea level, (which is, bizarrely where boats usually are), you can't see nearly so far.

bonj2

TheDoctor said:
Because it's aimed at shipping, which includes sail and engine powered vessels.

FFS, it's like nailing jellyfish to the wall sometimes...

Right, a lesson in boats, The Doctor, seen as you obviously are of limited grasp of marine matters.

Sailing boat:
whitehallsail.jpg

Ship:
cargo_ship-3.jpg

(Obviously NOT to scale!:o)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
User3094 said:
You're quite wrong.

Lots of 30 odd footers do it regulary. Last time I was in Torquay Marina, a boat pulled up in the early hours...

one bleary eyed bloke gets up
a lady pops up.
then two kids under the age of 5 pop out!

Come from New York, been at sea 3 1/2 weeks.

PS It was a very old 29' Konsort btw

You could have just stopped that post after the 1st 3 words...:ohmy:

bonj2

User3094 said:
You're quite wrong.

Lots of 30 odd footers do it regulary. Last time I was in Torquay Marina, a boat pulled up in the early hours...

one bleary eyed bloke gets up
a lady pops up.
then two kids under the age of 5 pop out!

Come from New York, been at sea 3 1/2 weeks.

PS It was a very old 29' Konsort btw

Came from new york, or said he's come from new york?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, done Bonj, in those pics, you've compared a pea and a watermelon. Now, think about all the SHIPPING (IE water vessels) in between....

bonj2

TheDoctor said:
Not at sea level you can't...

i've been in a boat before when you can see land that's obviously (and been proven to be from looking at maps) a LOT further than 3 miles away. You are therefore, factually, wrong.

bonj2

User3094 said:
and millions and millions of these in between....

konsort2.jpg

That's probably got an engine so it feasibly could just about make it across the atlantic, but they rarely do.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
i've been in a boat before when you can see land that's obviously (and been proven to be from looking at maps) a LOT further than 3 miles away. You are therefore, factually, wrong.

Yes dear, and that land is sticking up beyond sea level. At sea level, the visible horizon is about 3 miles away.

bonj2

User3094 said:
The USA flag, American accent, trans-atlantic prepared boat, long beards and knackered demeanors, kinda backed them up really.

beards, plural?:wacko: so the kids had long beards? ;) or did the bloke just have more than one?
and usa flags are probably aviailable to buy in the UK you know. In fact it only means that the boat is american.

Well, they (a) probably had an engine to bck them up when it wasn't windy, or the wrong direction, and (B) were probably the exception to the rule - they were probably doing it for a challenge or something and were backed up.
anyway isn't it illegal to just sail into a country without going through the official channels? they don't have passport inspectors on the beach, do they -so what if was smuggling contraband?
I think this story is beginning to smell slightly of bollocks, because i suspect that if any small boat had managed to make it across the atlantic then it wouldn't be allowed to just pull up in a harbour, it would have been rounded up by the coastguard and shepherded into an official port of entry.

bonj2

Arch said:
Yes dear, and that land is sticking up beyond sea level. At sea level, the visible horizon is about 3 miles away.

you said 'how far can you see', you didn't say how far you can see THE HORIZON.
I think it was originally about how far you can see some weather. Well, not all weather's at sea level, is it?

bonj2

User3094 said:
They do very frequently and the engine wouldnt get a 1/4 of the way.

No, well (a) it would if they carried more petrol for it, and (;) they wouldn't be using the engine all the time.
Hang on i don't know why i'm arguing in favour of boats getting across the atlantic...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
No, well (a) it would if they carried more petrol for it, and (;) they wouldn't be using the engine all the time.
Hang on i don't know why i'm arguing in favour of boats getting across the atlantic...

It's finally happened, your brain's melting with the effort to keep up the aura of daftness.

Top Bottom