Shocked at chainring prices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Had quite a shock this morning when i looked at the price of outer chainring (road bike) prices for the newer type ie Shimano 7900 prices? Seems to me that a bit of plastic on the side of a chainring puts the price up by about %300? Does any one else think this is a rip off ? Or know any way of using a normal chainring and swamping over the outer cover?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Try Superstar Components - decent quality at a reasonable price.

Wasn't 7900 one of the first hollow chainrings as well as hollow cranks.

Nowadays Dura Ace chain rings have carbon fibre (or some other material) in the hollow area providing extra strength.

If you search on Google for "shimano chainring hollow cross section" and look at the images there are a few cross section images of a cut up hollow chain ring.

Pffft, you think that’s pricey for a chainset? I want a compact Campag Super Record for my Bianchi, with 170mm cranks. I’ve bought fairly decent bikes for less:laugh:

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Lol , pricy to me yes about £100 for one chain ring not a chainset? The older type can be bought for about £20 or less all because of a bit of plastic stuck on the side of the newer type? Know what you mean about Super record even the cassettes are a weeks wages or more for most.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Hardly surprising unfortunately; everything's rocketing in price and you're also paying the massive Dura Ace tax.

Perhaps worth looking at 105 R7000 (if the ring spacing is compatable)..?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Spa Cycles have a wide range of chainrings. You might find what you need there.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/

Top Bottom