Shoes (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelO

Veteran
I'm going round in circles on this one - any views/help appreciated. I have a road bike which I use for commuting about 80% of the time, and 20% weekend rides. To date I've used SPD pedals & MTB shoes (purely to make walking into the office easier!).

The shoes are starting to look ragged after a couple of winters of hard use & I've since bought a pair of winter Northwave boots (also SPD).

But I want to now buy a pair of "fair weather" shoes for summer riding (and use the Northwave for Oct-Mar). I'm torn between:

* Switching to SPD-SL for summer
* Finding some road SPD shoes (rather than MTB looking shoes) - do these even exist?

Budget is around £100 for shoes (I realise I'll have to buy pedals if I go for SPD-SL, which is fine). Any good suggestions? I've struggled to find any stiff/road SPD shoes, and there's far too much choice on the SPD-SL side!!! Help....!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How about some Specialized Elite Touring shoes.
They look more roadie then MTB

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm going round in circles on this one - any views/help appreciated. I have a road bike which I use for commuting about 80% of the time, and 20% weekend rides. To date I've used SPD pedals & MTB shoes (purely to make walking into the office easier!).

The shoes are starting to look ragged after a couple of winters of hard use & I've since bought a pair of winter Northwave boots (also SPD).

But I want to now buy a pair of "fair weather" shoes for summer riding (and use the Northwave for Oct-Mar). I'm torn between:

* Switching to SPD-SL for summer
* Finding some road SPD shoes (rather than MTB looking shoes) - do these even exist?

Budget is around £100 for shoes (I realise I'll have to buy pedals if I go for SPD-SL, which is fine). Any good suggestions? I've struggled to find any stiff/road SPD shoes, and there's far too much choice on the SPD-SL side!!! Help....!
My Sidi Dominators do not look very MTB'ish at all.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I thought SPD-SL shoes too MTB cleats anyway . Just not the other way around . Or am I missing something :headshake:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My mavic fury look more road than mtb from the top - and at £100 they are within budget for you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MichaelO

MichaelO

Veteran
Thanks Ian - I was leaning towards "Touring" shoes - saves me buying new pedals, but allows me to walk either end of the commute. (Among the many) I had these bookmarked too - quite similar to the Spec ones.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got some suade look Specialized MTB shoes which I rate very highly. These shoes have an oval part of the sole which needs to be removed with a craft knife to expose the bolt holes for SPD cleats. This mans that you end up with 2 oval rubber pieces which have the S logo on em simply punch or drill a hole in them to convert these into great key fobs
See Sheldon Brown / bicycle humour "Marks of a true cyclist" for where this idea comes from, it also makes finding keys with a gloved hand from a jersey back pocket a lot easier.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
These road shoes take both types of cleats http://www.decathlon.co.uk/shimano-r088-cycling-shoes-white-black-id_8243685.html
Or am I still missing something :blink:

vickster

Legendary Member
They are also completely smooth on the bottom with no cleat recess, so not ideal for walking on!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
True but the OP said he wanted fair weather shoes for summer riding but thinks he needs to change his pedals if he looks at SPD-SL shoes . He can keep the pedals and still have SPD-SL shoes . Or am I still missing something ^_^

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
These road shoes take both types of cleats http://www.decathlon.co.uk/shimano-r088-cycling-shoes-white-black-id_8243685.html
Or am I still missing something :blink:

The mountain bike 2 bolt cleats will fit and work with these, however when you are off the bike you will be walking directly on the cleat... very slippy! You can buy some fixings that give the cleats rubber outriders... http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-031/index.html

But the touring shoes linked to above (or shimanos version - the rt-82) would be better.

Top Bottom