Shoes for these pedals please can you advise ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Well 3 weeks ago I purchased my first road bike Giant defy advanced 2 from the giant store at Radlett Herts .

I chose these pedals - shimano M324 combination pedal ( flat one side / cleat on the reverse ) as I was dubious about clipping in , bearing in mind I'm 46 & never rode a road bike , really getting on well with the bike & now starting to think about clipping in .

I want to keep these pedals for the time being but I'm just a little confused at the type of shoe that I need to purchase , I belive its a SPD shoe ?

I want the cleat to be set within the sole so that I can walk easily when not on the bike , please can someone just confirm this is the correct shoe & more importantly what would you reccomend as a good starter shoe that will work with these pedals ?

I'm not a road racer by any standards but like to push myself & will be taking part in a few sportives in the coming weeks if that helps describe the type of cyclist I am .

DRM

Guru
yes you are correct. you will need the 2 bolt mtb spd cleats, not spd-sl 3 bolt cleats which are for look or shimano road pedals

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Specialized Tahoe's are well regarded. They take 2 bolt SPD cleats which is what is required with your pedals. As with most SPD compatible soles the cleats are inset but the soles on the Tahoe's are rubberised and slightly more flexible making them much better for walking in (cafe stops and hills)!

midlife

Guru
I've got Shimano shoes like the ones above, if you are thinking about them then go and try some on as my Shimano shoes are 1 size bigger than my normal shoe size and on the narrow side.

Or order from somewhere with a good returns policy :smile:

Shaun

13 rider

Guru
If you buy the cleats separate to shoes there are multi direction marked with an M which are slightly easier to unclip as you can move your foot in any direction . I bought my first SPD shoes from Aldi no need to spend lots to see if you like being clipped in

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yes it is a SPD shoe you need, the cleats are an almost arrowhead shape in metal with 2 bolt attachment.

V good pedals BTW but not particularly roadie centric, nothing to say you shouldn't keep them on regardless but a heads up if you do get into being clipped in and decide you want to commit to it : A very good value, introductory full roadie SPD pedal is the Shimano M520.

Anyhoo back to the question in hand. Recessed cleats and a more walkable shoe tend to be classed as a mountain bike shoe - chunky sole, more 'normal' shoe looking but not usually as sleek or advanced fastners as pure road shoes (and the more serious/sniffy roadies will not wave at you if they see you on a Defy in MTB shoes & similarly po-faced MTBers will think you've Sol(e)d out to the dark side ;) )

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I bought there a few weeks back very good for the price
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r065-spd-sl-road-shoes/

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
If you buy the cleats separate to shoes there are multi direction marked with an M which are slightly easier to unclip as you can move your foot in any direction . I bought my first SPD shoes from Aldi no need to spend lots to see if you like being clipped in

Thankyou all - I already have the cleats as they come with the pedals I was told by the shop to keep them safe & when I return in 3 weeks they will set the bike / pedals & the shoes up for me , just want to get the shoes sorted beforehand

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Yes it is a SPD shoe you need, the cleats are an almost arrowhead shape in metal with 2 bolt attachment.

V good pedals BTW but not particularly roadie centric, nothing to say you shouldn't keep them on regardless but a heads up if you do get into being clipped in and decide you want to commit to it : A very good value, introductory full roadie SPD pedal is the Shimano M520.

Anyhoo back to the question in hand. Recessed cleats and a more walkable shoe tend to be classed as a mountain bike shoe - chunky sole, more 'normal' shoe looking but not usually as sleek or advanced fastners as pure road shoes (and the more serious/sniffy roadies will not wave at you if they see you on a Defy in MTB shoes & similarly po-faced MTBers will think you've Sol(e)d out to the dark side ;) )

Yes like the pedals as they give the option of either & will stick with them for my first few trips clipped in , if it all go's to plan then will look at the M520's

Not to bothered what the others think , just want to take it one step at a time , even if it costs me a couple of sets of pedals / shoes to start with just want to build some confidence , I've already come a long way on the bike in the last few weeks & guess that clipping in is the next step :smile:

midlife

Guru
SM-PD22.jpg

Don't laugh but I have these on M520's so I can use with trainers as well

Shaun

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
SM-PD22.jpg

Don't laugh but I have these on M520's so I can use with trainers as well

Shaun
Nowt wrong with those at all, I had them on my 520s, more 'cos I have a bit (lot) of a thing about pedal reflectors but they did have a use for casual wear riding on the roadie. Not much cop for grip in wet weather tho.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I think these are the wrong shoes. The OP requires 2 bolt SPD compatible not 3 bolt SPD-SL.

Think it takes both, quotes from Wiggle page:

'SPD-SL, SPD and Look* cleat compatible'

and:

'Product Data

Road: Yes
Cleat Fitting - 3 Bolt Look Type: Yes
Cleat Fitting- 2 Bolt SPD Type: Yes'

I'd like to know for sure as I'm also considering these and currently have Shimano A520 SPD pedals ... can anyone confirm please?

Top Bottom