Shoes (on and off bike) whilst touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meic

Not sure that I understand about "catches the back of the pedal nicely".
This implies that your foot is too far back on the pedal. Being that far back would deprive your calf muscles from the chance to play a part in your efforts.

ronmac

meic said:
This implies that your foot is too far back on the pedal. Being that far back would deprive your calf muscles from the chance to play a part in your efforts.

No Meic, It actually means my foots about central on the pedal. The heel pushes against the back of the pedal preventing my foot going further forward. So the bit on the pedal is the middle of my foot. This felt a wee bit funny when I started cycling about 6 months ago, but now I find it very comfortable and don't even think about it. You're probably right about the warmer weather, hopefully I'll get a chance to find out soon.

andym

Über Member
ronmac said:
No Meic, It actually means my foots about central on the pedal. The heel pushes against the back of the pedal preventing my foot going further forward. So the bit on the pedal is the middle of my foot. This felt a wee bit funny when I started cycling about 6 months ago, but now I find it very comfortable and don't even think about it.

Actually most people pedal with the ball of the foot on the pedal - not the arch (don't ask me why - I think it was what I was told when I did my cycling proficiency many many years ago). If it works for you, fine, but as you say you're new to cycling I thought I ought to say something.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I think you should have two pairs of footwear on holiday. Wearing the shoes you use during the day doesn't seem right, especially if they get wet.
I use Hi Tec aqua trainers, designed for watersports, they are extremely comfortable and don't weigh much (350g for one of my size 12s). I managed to find some for 15 pounds at Go Outdoors, I think the retail price is around 40 pounds. Just the thing for relaxing around the camp site in the evening, they are even up to a spot of light walking.

andym

Über Member
Tail End Charlie said:
I use Hi Tec aqua trainers, designed for watersports, they are extremely comfortable and don't weigh much (350g for one of my size 12s). I managed to find some for 15 pounds at Go Outdoors, I think the retail price is around 40 pounds. Just the thing for relaxing around the camp site in the evening, they are even up to a spot of light walking.

These?

114132_633468817166250000.jpg

campagman

Guru
In the summer I use SPD sandals during the day for cycling but think it good to have an alternative footwear to wear in the evening. I take some old Scholl sandals. Wearing the same sandals day and night is not good. They won't be comfortable after a weeks tour.

stewie griffin

Über Member
kyuss said:
Sorry, but Crocs will never be acceptable footwear unless you're a lifeguard at a swimming pool. Their popularity doesn't mean they are now acceptable, they just make it easier to spot cheapskate fashion victims. :ohmy:

I'm the first to say they look crap, that I won't try & defend & yes I'm probably a cheapskate considering my copies cost 5euro :biggrin:

On the plus side, mine weigh less than 250g, the lightest footwear posted so far.
They let your feet breath after a day of cycle shoes (if you don't wear sandals).
You don't have to worry about getting them wet, they can be carried on the outside of your luggage, great for using on camping grounds, beech, easy to wash clean.
They are very comfortable. OK for walking moderate distances.

Fashion victim? I wear something functional that I admit looks crap, but you won't wear them because of how they look, mmmm.

ronmac

meic said:

Sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly, meic. If you held a pedal in your hand and sat a shoe with a heel on it so the heel is pushing against the pedal then that's the position my foot is in. Because it's a good, square heel my foot can't go forward on pedal any further. So there's about 3.5 inches of heel at the back which aren't on the pedal and about 4.5 inches of sole at the front which aren't on the pedal.
I find it very comfy and I've been doing 60 mile training runs, taking in plenty of hills, with 2 stone of luggage on bike no problems. I've had no muscular problems of any sort.

ronmac

Rythmthief, Thanks for that info. That's the position that came naturally when I first started cycling about 6 months ago. I can relate to how that position would give you more push against pedal.
Although comfy with my current method, I'll maybe give your method a few trial runs. It might mean I don't have to wear the big clumpy timberlands anymore (even though they're comfy !). What an amateur eh. Thanks for your input too, meic.

GrahamG

Guru
It's well worth trying out - although you'll probably need to put the saddle up a tad. Once you get used to it, you'll probably find it a revelation. No worries about keeping the boots though, they should grip the pedals well enough without the heel pushed up against them.

inaperfectworld

i rate the jingas as they are very light and bulk is small. they are not too good on rough ground and you wouldn't want a long walk in them but for evening or mooching around on a day off they are fine. some colours are muted and don't worry about sizing as they are very helpful about changing them and they are not heavy to post. they are much less bulky than even flip flops

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
The more I think about it, the more I think I will just take SPD sandals this time. I can always add socks if need be and wear a false moustache so no-one recognises me....

GrahamG

Guru
Got my bright orange Jingas on today to brighten up the office!

They're great, weigh next to nothing. However the thin soles would make a pebbly beach stroll very uncomfortable so they lose marks to flip-flops in that sense but I hate walking in flip-flops so I'll live with that.

Top Bottom