Shoes (on and off bike) whilst touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
A constant dilemma for me.... what shoes on and off the bike whilst touring

I have Specialized Taho shoes for general touring. They look good enough off the bike to wear just those and take nothing else. If wet they take ages to dry, so would need waterproof overshoes in case of heavy rain. I also have some Specialized MTB sport shoes, which are very comfortable, light, and dry more quickly. They are very "cycling" off the bike, and not ideal to walk in. Finally, I have Shimano sandals

Off the bike I have lots of choice, but nearly all heavy. I am off to the South of France in very early May and thinking about JUST the SPD sandals and nothing else - only a problem if very cold for some reason. (I am not keen on the sock+sandal combo look... but would have to bite the bullet!)

In NZ last year I bought some of these Sanuk shoes which are remarkably comfortable http://tinyurl.com/azxjbo but still weigh 430g. Really comfy lightweight running shoes seem to be impossible to find. Even my flipflops weigh 300g, and don't add much flexibility over the SPD sandals.

So what do you do on tour? Women probably have more choice I assume!

rickangus

Über Member
I'm planning on something v similar in June and will be using Spesh Sonamas which are comfortable off the bike but taking some very light waterproof overshoes (not winter ones which provide warmth as well) just cheap-ish polyamide ones here:

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/q...erProofs_Overshoes&page=editorial_display.htm

And not taking any other footwear!

coopman

I have been pondering this as well, I have been using the specialized tahos as well, but as they have the spd's fitted are not so great off the bike socially in evening. Been on the hunt for a lightweight compact shoe for the evenings, so looking forward to hearing what other people do/use. I was thinking of some sort of canvas shoe, like a pair of cons. They are probably not to heavy or bulky, not very waterproof on wet grass though.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
The Jingas look good - if you can stomach the colours. They say a 41 is 260g, so I am guessing a 45 will be 330g or so. I think I will just go with my SPD sandals for this trip and accept the looks of disdain (well deserved) if I slip on my socks. I think I will risk no overshoes either but take my Rapha merino socks in case it gets wet. Plastic bags will be my last resort!

GrahamG

Guru
I've got some Jingas on the way (I love the colours - went for bright orange on sale for £25). I found out about them via the CTC magazine, a readers letter I think. Will let you know what they're like when they arrive.

Danny

Legendary Member
I usually just bring a pair of flip flops in addition to my cycling shoes. They are light to carry and you can wear them around a campsite/hostel/B&B - however obviously not an ideal choice if you are wanting to walk any distance.

meic

I use the Sandals and think they are excellent.
If the weather gets bad I put on some Goretex socks (100 grams) over some thin merino socks. Other people use Sealskins.
If you get really soaked you can dry sandals very quickly but shoes are much more difficult to dry out. For the same reason you can wear the sandals all day on the bike and in the evening too.

kyuss

Veteran
stewie griffin said:
Crocs (or copys), not the most stylish but as more people wear them they are becoming more acceptable. Very light.

Sorry, but Crocs will never be acceptable footwear unless you're a lifeguard at a swimming pool. Their popularity doesn't mean they are now acceptable, they just make it easier to spot cheapskate fashion victims. :rolleyes:

andym

Über Member
kyuss said:
Sorry, but Crocs will never be acceptable footwear unless you're a lifeguard at a swimming pool. Their popularity doesn't mean they are now acceptable, they just make it easier to spot cheapskate fashion victims. :rolleyes:

Very popular with nurses as well.

I'm not sure they're acceptable in polite company, but if the alternative is sandals with socks (goretex or otherwise) which is the lesser evil?

ronmac

I'm fairly new to cycling and am a very unsophisticated cyclist. I haven't bought any cycling clothes etc.. and just use what I have. I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but I'd be interested to hear others opinions - I use a pair of timberland boots for cycling distance. O.k. their heavy but the square heel catches the back of the pedal nicely. They're very snug and warm and don't let any rain in at all. They're great for walking too. For camping I just add a pair of flip-flops.I just wear light trainers for local cycling.

meic

Wear whatever you like on your bike. Nothing wrong with that set up.
In the depths of winter I might do the same as it could stop my toes from freezing off.

In the heat of summer, when i do most of my miles, I love the feel of the wind through my toes and the sun on my feet, courtesy of the sandals. Boots would be too much for me in that case.

The argument about the special SPD cleats will roar on for years. In general they are more popular with faster/harder/longer riding as they get more leg effort into movement. Less popular with people who want to put their feet down more often.

I dont wear SPDs when on rough ground as I feel the need to get my feet out FAST when I stall. Better off-roaders than me can cope better with cleats. Each to their own. People seldom go back to not using cleats after using them. If I ever learn to ride off-road with them, I doubt I would go back to not using them.

Top Bottom