Shoes (on and off bike) whilst touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kyuss

Veteran
stewie griffin said:
Fashion victim? I wear something functional that I admit looks crap, but you won't wear them because of how they look, mmmm.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offense it was a bit tongue in cheek. I do admit I wouldn't be seen dead in them though. Nothing wrong with looking good and plastic clogs don't.

I fancy a pair of Vibram 5 fingers. Pricey but light and small and apparently fantastically comfortable.

montage

God Almighty
I went to clipless and haven't looked back, would use mtb spds for touring as the shoes are easy enough to walk in ;)

inaperfectworld

although i'm happy with jingas i've seen in the independent sat 14th march some "vivo barefoot aqua shoes". weigh the same as jingas , a mere 300 gm and like jingas are thin soled which is supposedly good for the feet, posture ,balance etc as it is as close to walking to barefoot without having bare feet . they look as though they will squash down well, but they are £75 and jingas £35 and don't look as though they do the job any more effectively than jingas

I just wear an ordinary pair of Merrells with ordinary grippy pedals on the bike. Because I can cycle and walk in them it means I don't need to carry anything else. The only down side is they usually don't smell too good after a week or so.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
kyuss said:
I fancy a pair of Vibram 5 fingers. Pricey but light and small and apparently fantastically comfortable.
I've a pair of those. They are basically for when you would be barefoot, but know your feet aren't tough enough. They squash up small for packing. For walking they give good foot protection, but it would still hurt if you came down with your heel on a 10mm pebble on a paving slab. You have to pay some attention to what you are walking on. Grip is mostly good, they get wet easily and don't dry terribly quickly.
If you want some, you'll probably need a smaller size than normal. They need to be a reasonably snug fit, without leaving a gap at the toes like with normal shoes.
Jingas feel pretty similar to walk in, with a thin flat sole giving the same "no heel" feeling and the same discomfort when you tread on a small pebble. The sole is fairly hard plastic and doesn't give wonderful grip.

just jim

Some good ideas here - especially like the flip flops made out of a foam mat, and the idea that you could press them back in after use!

willem

Über Member
I like to keep it simple, and have one pair of shoes for walking and cycling. Of course I would not do this for extended trips, but for shorter ones I have always preferred the one pair route. For years, I used light mountain Goretex boots. However, I have now changed over to spd pedals, and after some experimenting I have now bought the Shimano MT 90 Goretex bike and walking boots with the Vibram sole. So far I am very happy. They walk OK though no more than that, but they ride well, and of course they are waterproof and warm. For those who want shoes that are even better to walk in, this Swiss shops modifes real mountain boots for spd use: http://www.newrada.ch/bike_hike.php This is a superb solution if you really need proper walking boots, but they sure cost an arm and a leg (plus a trip to Switzerland).
Willem

Jugular

How about these?!

Puma L.I.F.T

They're supposedly 250g but I'm not sure if we're talking per pair or single shoe but they're supposedly very light. Usain Bolt is very keen on them. Not sure he'd keep up with me on my bike though!

Top Bottom