Shoes, Pedals & clothing... help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I get most of my commute gear from Tenn outdoors.

http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/

I commute every day and have found their gear to be very good.

Thanks - anything in particular you can recommend?

I ordered the shoes and pedals from Chain Reaction Cycles, and picked the shoes because: I liked the style (similar to the walking shoes I normally wear); they have a velcro strap (to keep the laces away from the chainset); and the MTB style should allow for "emergency" walking off-bike (because it has recessed cleats).

Been swithering for weeks - the extra 10% off at CRC was the extra incentive to just go for them!

I've read a lot about shoes and generally you need to buy the next size up from normal? - Is this what you've done? I'm wondering if it's worth going to try some on first but the last thing i'd want to do then is not buy them in case i can find them cheaper elsewhere.

I quite like these - M077 MTB Shoes

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I've read a lot about shoes and generally you need to buy the next size up from normal? - Is this what you've done? I'm wondering if it's worth going to try some on first but the last thing i'd want to do then is not buy them in case i can find them cheaper elsewhere.

I think you do have to try on, if you can. I notice you've seen my other post explaining how I ended up ordering a size 45 - at the end of the day though, since this is my first pair of SPD shoes they might not fit. Despite buying online, an exchange shouldn't be a problem if that turns out to be the case, but I'm hoping they'll be fine.

Really looking forward to getting clipped in... so much so I practiced saying "unclip, unclip, unclip" every time I stopped on my commute home this evening :biggrin:

400bhp

Guru
I use MTB style SPD on both my road bikes and i get on fine with them, i can easily keep up with the others who use road style clips.I prefer the MTB recessed clips as i have a good walk from the bike sheds at work so it is easier to use, using just 1 system on both bikes means you can use your shoes with both bikes rather than having dedicated shoes for each which can be a godsend if one breaks.

You can get MTB spd with one side that clips and the other side with a regular flat pedal for the days you want to use normal shoes which can be handy if you just ant to pop out .

+1. I have a pair of these that I can put on my M520 pedals when I have normal shoes on.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I think you do have to try on, if you can. I notice you've seen my other post explaining how I ended up ordering a size 45 - at the end of the day though, since this is my first pair of SPD shoes they might not fit. Despite buying online, an exchange shouldn't be a problem if that turns out to be the case, but I'm hoping they'll be fine.

Really looking forward to getting clipped in... so much so I practiced saying "unclip, unclip, unclip" every time I stopped on my commute home this evening :biggrin:

I'm aiming to go out looking at road bikes shortly so i'll see if i can try on a few then. Most places look like they do hassle free returns, but i'll be interested to know if yours fit ok on your past experiences trying shoes on. I'm sure they'll fit fine. :biggrin:

+1. I have a pair of these that I can put on my M520 pedals when I have normal shoes on.

Oh so they just fit ontop of the M520's? That's a good little modification to use flat shoes as well. Think i'll order those once i've got the shoes and pedals sorted.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Chaps

Specialized or Shimano shoes?

I've had some advice that the Shimano MO87 are worth the extra outlay over the MO77 as the 87 shoes use a ratchet rather than velcro which works far better especially when out and about but i'd be interested to hear any other owners opinions?

Cheers

I have the entry level R076 Shimano shoe which use velcro straps.

The shoe itself is ok, very light and looks tidy. They are wearing out fast however, very fast. The cleats need replacing now after just a few months of use, the right cleat actually wore out at 3 weeks.

The other problem I've noticed is when heavy shifting occurs, this will cause the shoe the straps to give and the shoe becomes lose. It is marginal but it makes one hell of a difference.

For the same price I could have bought the Specialized shoes with the wire and rachet, not as pretty but a superior shoe.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I have the entry level R076 Shimano shoe which use velcro straps.

The shoe itself is ok, very light and looks tidy. They are wearing out fast however, very fast. The cleats need replacing now after just a few months of use, the right cleat actually wore out at 3 weeks.

The other problem I've noticed is when heavy shifting occurs, this will cause the shoe the straps to give and the shoe becomes lose. It is marginal but it makes one hell of a difference.

For the same price I could have bought the Specialized shoes with the wire and rachet, not as pretty but a superior shoe.

Blimey! Quite shocked how quickly they've worn out! I've got quite wide feet and i've read the Specialized might therefore suit me better but i'll have to try them all on.

Any other shoe feedback chaps?

VamP

Banned
I just bought a pair of Mavic Razors from CycleSurgery in their sales. Down to £75 from cca £105.

This is a brilliant MTB/Cyclocross shoe, which is comfy to run in, takes studs for mud work, and IMO looks very good as well.

It is particularly highly rated by the CX crowd.

It sizes up small, I take street size 11, and the Mavics in 12 were bang on.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I just bought a pair of Mavic Razors from CycleSurgery in their sales. Down to £75 from cca £105.

This is a brilliant MTB/Cyclocross shoe, which is comfy to run in, takes studs for mud work, and IMO looks very good as well.

It is particularly highly rated by the CX crowd.

It sizes up small, I take street size 11, and the Mavics in 12 were bang on.

That's a very nice pair of shoes! I'm not sure whether there's any advantage/disadvantage of using cyclocross shoes (weight etc) but i'm going to try some on soon and see what's what.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I was trying shoes on last week in Evans. I'm a size 8 normally. Shimano had to go up to a 44 and they felt a wee bit narrow. Tried on Specialized BG Sport Touring Shoes and they were perfect in 43 for my fat/wide feet. And the cleat is recessed to let you walk around in.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/bg-sport-touring-shoe-ec025555

Did you find there was a difference in quality/comfort etc between the Shimano and Specialized? Or was it more the fit and sizing that swung it?

To be honest I've got quite wide feet as well and can see me going for the Specialized over the Shinano as well, although to get the Pro version with the Ratchet you have to spend quite a bit more.....

Tomba

Did you find there was a difference in quality/comfort etc between the Shimano and Specialized? Or was it more the fit and sizing that swung it?

To be honest I've got quite wide feet as well and can see me going for the Specialized over the Shinano as well, although to get the Pro version with the Ratchet you have to spend quite a bit more.....

It was more the width/fitting.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I was trying shoes on last week in Evans. I'm a size 8 normally. Shimano had to go up to a 44 and they felt a wee bit narrow. Tried on Specialized BG Sport Touring Shoes and they were perfect in 43 for my fat/wide feet. And the cleat is recessed to let you walk around in.
http://www.evanscycl...g-shoe-ec025555

Went down to my local LBS today and tried on the Specialized BG Sport shoes and was pretty impressed. Had a good nose around and pretty much decided straight away to forget about the Shimano ones as they were so much narrower than the Specialized.

Only thing i found was i really wanted the Comp version with the ratchet but can't justify spending £100 just on shoes.

Going back later in the week to nose at some of the other bikes they'll have there and will probably buy the shoes when i'm there. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom