Shoes, Pedals & clothing... help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Hi all

I'm in dire need of more expert advice if possible please? I currently commute on my hardtail doing roughly 14 miles a day, but i'm in the process of looking around at road bikes and find myself looking at a proper cycling jersey as well as getting proper SPD shoes and pedals. I want to get fitter and fitter and despite how tough cycling is i do quite enjoy it and find it rewarding so want to get out and start doing longer rides and get involved in events and club rides etc but i really need to get some new equipment along the way. I did 15 miles this morning and am planning 2 longer rides this week so i'm really getting the bug now.

Pedals & Shoes
I currently use an old pair of running shoes to cycle in, but with the road bike do i get MTB pedals and shoes and use on both bikes or just get road pedals and shoes? There are so many pedals and shoes - do i need to get ones to work with each other specifically or do they all fit each other without issue? Do all pedals fit all bikes? or are some specific? Is there a specific shoe to look for or avoid?

Clothing

I currently use 3/4 length padded pants and a base layer with a jacket but really need to get proper shorts/jersey clothing. A lot i've read refers to the jersey's being a size too small and having to get larger - is that really the case? Are all cycling jersey's generally the same? - love the look of the castelli's but are they worth the extra layout? Shorts wise, i see a lot of bib shorts - are these generally what riders wear but then with a cycling jersey?

Sorry for all the questions, i've no idea which of the above to look at first or how to pick one over the other. I've really got to try on some jersey's to get an idea of fit and size, possibly the same for shoes but i'm so new to road biking that i could really do with as much guidance as possible on the above.

Many thanks

Gaz

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use MTB style SPD on both my road bikes and i get on fine with them, i can easily keep up with the others who use road style clips.I prefer the MTB recessed clips as i have a good walk from the bike sheds at work so it is easier to use, using just 1 system on both bikes means you can use your shoes with both bikes rather than having dedicated shoes for each which can be a godsend if one breaks.

You can get MTB spd with one side that clips and the other side with a regular flat pedal for the days you want to use normal shoes which can be handy if you just ant to pop out .

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Pedals & Shoes
As far as I know, pedals are a universal fit so no worries on that score.

Whether you want specific pedals for specific bikes depends on your budget and how much you value the convenience of having one pair of shoes to use on both bikes (although there are a few shoes that accept both road and mtb cleats).

Obviously road shoes and pedals are specifically designed for use on the road and vice versa; however there is no practical reason why you couldn't use either system on either bike.

Clothing
Like ordinary clothes, manufacturer's sizing varies: one company's M(edium) could be another's L(arge). Italian clothing and shoes are generally smaller than those from UK brands. The advantage of bib shorts is that you don't have a waistband cutting into you; on the other hand, toilet stops are less convenient.

The only way to know what size you are for a particular brand, is to try it on: get some cycling buddies/join a club and try their gear on, they can also tell you how they perform and you can make a decision as to whether the more expensive kit is worth it.

Any local bike shops (LBS)? Try their kit on then look for second-hand items once you know what size you are; but don't take the p*ss, they have a living to make and a good long-term relationship with your LBS will pay dividends in the long-term.

Personally, I would be inclined to start out with less expensive kit: mistakes are less painful that way and it's only with experience that you can decide if it's worth paying the extra for high-end features.

Wiggle's own-brand DHB kit gets consistently good reviews, is generally considered to be "value for money" and won't break the bank. They also have a good returns policy, so you can exchange kit if it doesn't fit.

I hope this helps get you started; and there's no need to apologise: asking questions is the smart thing to do

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Brilliant! Many thanks both for the information and the link - really helps a lot.

Think it would definitely benefit me to buy MTB pedals and shoes and use them on both - I take it most pedals will work on all bikes?

A friend has recommended these - Shimano PD-M520 which look pretty good for what i want. I do like the thought of having one side of the pedal flat if i did use normal shoes for a quick ride but i think it might be more hassle to get used to the side i need to clip into than it's worth.

I'll take a look at Wiggle's DHB stuff and see if i can at least start off with a bib, jersey and socks to get going.:thumbsup:

Cheers!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
clothing.. for winter lidl have clothing out on the 5th, when there gone there gone.

Both Adli+ lidl have cheap, reasonable quality stuff so sign up for thier email alerts for weekly offers, this thursday lidl have compression tops that should make excellent base layers.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
You can get m520s for less from absolute cycles

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43a954d1f4

I have them from this shop on both my bikes.

Thanks for the link. Looked a great price until i looked closer and it appears through absolute cycles they don't come with the cleats?.... I've checed the wiggle page and it looks like these are included.... not sure if anyone can confirm that though? - only going by the FAQ on that page.

Think i'll have to check out our local Aldi/Lidls as well, cheers!

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Sorry cleats never came to mind as i have a few pairs in stock

( i am not linked in anyway to absolute i just found them good and cheap )
Try this

http://stores.ebay.c...&_nkw=spd+cleat

No need to apologise - thanks for searching and adding the link. I'll definitely keep an eye on them in case they have any other bits and pieces i need.

On that note - MTB Shoes, can anyone recommend any specifically? There's quite a few to choose from so any recommendation or advice when trying them on would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I've just ordered Shimano MT42 MTB-style SPD shoes (£55 for a size 45) and the aforementioned M520 clip-less pedals (£23), taking advantage of the extra 10% off today (when you spend over £75)... looking forward to my first SPD experience (gracefully falling over having forgotten to un-clip :biggrin: )

Someone tipped me off about the LIDL's cycle clothing, and I bought a pair of shorts, a top and a gillet back in the Spring. They're excellent value IMHO, and seem to wash and wear well – I've been wearing them continually since I got back on a bike in April!

It just so happens that it's cycle-week next week at LIDL's, and they've got long-sleeve tops and trousers, full-finger gloves and socks, all of which are on my shopping list for the colder morning commutes. Well worth checking out to see how you get on before investing in more expensive gear I reckon :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I've just ordered Shimano MT42 MTB-style SPD shoes (£55 for a size 45) and the aforementioned M520 clip-less pedals (£23), taking advantage of the extra 10% off today (when you spend over £75)... looking forward to my first SPD experience (gracefully falling over having forgotten to un-clip :biggrin: )

Someone tipped me off about the LIDL's cycle clothing, and I bought a pair of shorts, a top and a gillet back in the Spring. They're excellent value IMHO, and seem to wash and wear well – I've been wearing them continually since I got back on a bike in April!

It just so happens that it's cycle-week next week at LIDL's, and they've got long-sleeve tops and trousers, full-finger gloves and socks, all of which are on my shopping list for the colder morning commutes. Well worth checking out to see how you get on before investing in more expensive gear I reckon :thumbsup:

Hey, thanks for the info. Where did you order the shoes and pedals from? and what made you choose those shoes?

I've bookmarked the aldi/lidl cycling sales starting monday and have made a point to the wife that i need to go in search of one or both on monday when we're away. Just picked up another base layer but i really need some other clothing (bib shorts, jersey, socks etc) and so far all the reviews of jersey's and shorts have been pretty good.

Cheers

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Hey, thanks for the info. Where did you order the shoes and pedals from? and what made you choose those shoes?

I ordered the shoes and pedals from Chain Reaction Cycles, and picked the shoes because: I liked the style (similar to the walking shoes I normally wear); they have a velcro strap (to keep the laces away from the chainset); and the MTB style should allow for "emergency" walking off-bike (because it has recessed cleats).

Been swithering for weeks - the extra 10% off at CRC was the extra incentive to just go for them!

Top Bottom