Shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Try them: if they're confortable and work, stick with them. I cycle in my steel capped work boots all year round because I am incredibly lazy and can't be faffed swapping footwear around, but that's just me.

When I was working I would buy clips and straps then straighten and rebend the clips round the steel toe capped boots so I could use them on my commute.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
took a punt and ordered these last night based on a similar thread on here....worth a risk for a tenner...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-m...MItb3N-97Z5gIVSLTtCh2eTAAIEAQYASABEgJq6PD_BwE

regarding socks....not cycling specific socks but I recommend Darn Tough socks....pricey but come with a lifetime guarantee!
I've got a pair of those. Not waterproof or warm, but any mud can be brushed off when dry and they're quite comfortable and have a relatively stiff sole so worth a try.

alibrate-brogue-boots-product-1-11573288-609364007.jpg

I cycled 13 miles in 50 mins this morning in cotton socks and these basic fashion leather boots. No fancy lining or anything, just plain old tan boots. Admittedly, my toes were getting a little chilly toward the back end of the 5C ride, had I been sensible and pulled another pair of thick woolen socks over the top I would have been toasty, alas I'm perpetually running late. Avoid shoes with ventilation, and if your extremities suffer, it might be worth getting windproof/fleece lined boots or something. Leather boots are naturally windproof and seams can be waterproofed with wax/fat. I use equestrian dubbin, nice and cheap and a pot seemingly lasts a lifetime. Riding with these means I can hop right off the bike and not worry about changing in the office or about town for social stuff. Just like any normal day.

I have suffered with foot pain and cramps in the past, but as mrj says, if you have the right size pedals, particularly with a large platform, it stiffness of the sole doesn't matter much. My last pair of pedals were awkward with any casual shoes, they were double sided SPD pedals, with one side for normal footwear, but because the centre of the platform was hollowed out, my flexible casual shoes caused pains after 5+ miles of reasonable pedal effort. No such pains on my new more supportive flats.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have a pair of Adidas goretex trail running shoes which are great for both hiking and on the bike.

Coincidentally they have an Orange sole with black uppers which match my Orange and Black Brommie, so of course I wear them with orange socks😉

I've got my eye on a pair of these to wear on my C3 come summertime 😁 498416

Top Bottom