Shopper pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Thinking of fitting a pannier rack to the commuter, (which with the racer frame has its own little problems) The thinking being that next year I can make a few more of those car journeys unnecessary. Alot of that's been done with online shopping and the supermarket delivery service. However theres always going to be the need to nip out to the shops or supermarket.

Looking for advice as to which pannier bag

Obviously I'm not too keen on leaving anything removable on the bike, whilst I'm shopping. So preferably easy to remove/refit and I'll take it in with me. Big volumes required as well.

Spotted this:

http://carradice.co.uk/commuter-bike-bags/shopper-pannier.shtml

Anyone got any experience of them? or any alternatives?

Thanks.

P.H

Über Member

domtyler

Über Member
I've got the big 40 litre Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus panniers and they will take almost a full weeks shopping. Easy to detach/reattach from the bike. Not the cheapest but very well made and top quality.

Danny

Legendary Member
The Shopper panniers are only 32 litres, which probably isn't big enough if you are wanting to do a big shop, or go touring.

I have some Caradice Super C panniers which have a 54 litre capacity, and they are large and strong enough to cart home 6 bottles of wine and some food from the supermarket - or carry pretty much everything you need for a tour.

Cardadic panniers are strong and well made, but do not have as good a systems for fitting them to a rack as Orliebs. So if you need to take them on and off a lot you might want to consider a different make.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm not an expert on the current crop of panniers, but...

All my panniers are perfectly ordinary nylon touring ones. They have metal hooks at the top which hook over the rack on the bike - or the top of of a supermarket shopping trolley. This is very handy - they're not left outside where the local scallys can fiddle with them, they make the trolley very recognisable (it's embarassing when you find you've been dumping your shopping in someone else's, isn't it?), and at the check out you can transfer your shopping directly into to them.

Posher panniers with more sophisticated attachment systems may not allow you to do this.

My favourite bags are these - got 'em second hand on Ebay. Number 2 pair are the old Karrimor Universal - got 'em from a classified in the local paper. For a big shop I use both pairs. Or a trailer - but that's another suggestion.

Top Bottom