Short Lady Requires Advice re First Road Bike: update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Elybazza61 I suppose I could try out some more expensive bikes in the hope that something might turn up used. Am not above buying secondhand :smile: And if you ever do spot a short lady huffing and puffing on a battered red MTB in the Downham / Littleport / Pymoor area, then that'll be me [

Out that way quite often so I'll keep an eye out for you:okay::hello:.

Once you get sorted you are welcome to come out on one of the Ely Saturday club runs,there is an easy group which usually has a few women members in and is a no drop group.

There is a club page on Facebook which will give details of routes etc;usually heads out from Whitchford village college car park.One of the routes does go out via Littleport and goes to Welney via ten mile bank and then back to ely/whitchford via black bank and Little downham.Others go to La Hogue farmshop in Chippenham and to St Ives depending on wind direction on the day.

Facebook page;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268584086532266/?ref=bookmarks

Our connor

Hi Reynard, I am a 5ft 3in male and when I took up cycling I suffered all the same things you are going through now. Here in nw England I visited 18 shops before I found one that stocked xs or small men's or universal bikes . A lot of shops were disintrested and just said you will have to try a woman's bike. I ended up with a trek 1.1 size 47 which when adjusted to me fit really well it's now my winter bike. I have a carbon Dolan tuono now again size 47 but for which I had a bike fit and do you know when I measured them both up there was less than 1 cm difference in any measurement. The one bit of advice I would give you whatever you buy is have a proper bike fit.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
@Hacienda71 - I fully intend to do just that, since even the nearest Decathlon is a bit of a hike. :thumbsup: Need to figure out exactly which size I need though... Am looking forward to trying out the bike and see how it feels compared to the Wiggins.

@Elybazza61 - Something to aim at for the future. :smile: I'll have to do a lot more huffing and puffing before I'm ready to tackle anything that long. Seven miles is my max as have only just taken up cycling again. :blush:

@Our connor - Sometimes it's a PITA being short, isn't it? Glad you found what you wanted anyway. :okay: I'm getting there... I think.

Was in the Cambridge Halfords yesterday and the Laura Trott bikes looked pretty good,nice 105 spec on the ones they had in but a bit over you budget I'm afraid and it doesn't look like they do an xs in the cheapest model.

I'm hoping that you knowledgeable folks can help me out. Am looking for a bike that I can ride to improve my fitness and shed a few stubborn wobbly bits. My very ancient Leopard 10 mountain bike isn't really fit for purpose anymore and as a result I haven't ridden it in a while. If I want to be perfectly honest it is too big and too heavy for me and I don't ride off road, which is why I'm thinking of finally ditching it and getting road bike.

I'm just looking to get out and ride, get some exercise and then push myself a little further once I've got back into the groove of cycling. I live quite rural, so have plenty of country lanes to ride around.

My problem is that I'm short. 4' 11" in fact with 27" inside leg. I also have a very limited budget of around £350. There is a little bit of stretch in that, but please bear in mind that I will also need a new helmet and a few other sundries.

Would it be a preposterous idea to look at junior bikes given both my height and budget?

I've only just started looking, but two bikes have caught my eye - the Wiggins Rouen Junior 650c (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/wiggins-rouen-junior-road-bike-650c) and the Boardman Junior Road (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/end-of-line-bikes/boardman-junior-road-sport-e-bike).

I'd be grateful for advice that can point me in the right direction.
you could always lower the saddle a bit!
5063636449_874fb89834.jpg

Yazzoo

Firstly, thank you ladies for making me feel tall, I am 5'4" with a 30" inside leg but I have a tall top half and silly long arms! My bikes have 700c wheels but the road bike (the one that fits the best and is most comfortable) I do have a toe overlap issue

650c seems a much better option IMO for a smaller frame

jamin100

Guru
Was in the Cambridge Halfords yesterday and the Laura Trott bikes looked pretty good,nice 105 spec on the ones they had in but a bit over you budget I'm afraid and it doesn't look like they do an xs in the cheapest model.

We've just brought the Laura Trott RD1 for the wife in a 48cm and she's 5 foot nothing (not actually sure shes 5 feet but thats what she tells me)
There on at £450 but if your a BC member you can get that to £405 with the 10% off.

Its a nice bike for the money and its been out on 2 x 12 mile rides since the weekend

We've just brought the Laura Trott RD1 for the wife in a 48cm and she's 5 foot nothing (not actually sure shes 5 feet but thats what she tells me)
There on at £450 but if your a BC member you can get that to £405 with the 10% off.

Its a nice bike for the money and its been out on 2 x 12 mile rides since the weekend

They did look nice,not too silly girly looking either.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
@wanda2010 - I take it you liked the Chartres then? ;)

The Triban seems to be out of stock at the moment from what I can gather. I'm not in any hurry - can wait to try it, though I have to admit my heart lies with the Wiggo Rouen. I will give the Wiggo another try as well - see if I can take it for a proper test ride rather than a quick squizz around the shop whilst wearing jeans. Besides, am hoping they may knock of a few quid come the winter sales. :whistle:

In the mean time, I've been riding my heavy old MTB, cleaning it up, adding some new bits. I still hate the thing, and I'm still in danger of cleaving myself in two along the vertical axis every time I come to a stop at junctions without kerbs, but it's better than having no wheels at all. Was hoping to avoid having to buy new tyres for it, but that's now a must as I've noticed a couple of splits. Will swap the knobblies for smoother tires I think, though not much choice for 24" wheels...

wanda2010

Guru
@Reynard - It called to me cos of the wheel size, plus it has red in it AND I can hoist it up 4 flights of stairs without needing a lift or a Strong Younger Person. The test ride in commute traffic this morning around the Tower Bridge area was fun, mainly because of the cycle lanes and the bigger tyres, so I could roll through the craters with ease :dance:

I did think about changing the tyres but decided against it. I may chop the handlebars down a bit, but will make a final decision when I collect the bike on Thursday evening (prays all the changes will be made by then).

I do hope you are able to get the bike that you want, cos then I can blame you for my purchase. After all, I can't possibly accept responsibility for my actions! :laugh::laugh::angel::angel:

Top Bottom