Short Lady Requires Advice re First Road Bike: update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
LOLOLOLOLOL :laugh: I can live with taking the blame. Mind, red *does* look good on a bike :blush: Do hope you get a lot of pleasure out of your new set of wheels :okay:

Have to say, the weight of the Wiggins bikes (or lack thereof) is a big plus, which is the reason I keep being drawn back to them. They are at the lighter end of the scale compared to some of the ones I've been looking at - the Rouen is about half the weight of the ostensibly "junior" bike that I'm currently riding... :blink:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Oh dear, am I wibbly wobbly on a road bike or what... :sad:

Had a chance to try the Wiggins again yesterday. Different shop to last time. Really helpful pair of chaps, they made sure that I actually fit on the 650 (which I do), but I really need to try and ride something like this someplace where there's no danger of hitting anything. :blush: I think it's a confidence thing as I used to ride a single gear road-ish bike when I was a kid... That was before I switched to the MTB...

Any suggestions / tips? Please tell me this will get easier / less embarrassing...

One thing I did learn is that the saddle on my MTB is a better fit for my derriere than the one that's on the Wiggins. So whatever bike I end up getting, I'll probably be swapping the saddle over...

fimm

Veteran
Yes, my experience was that I felt really wobbly to start with, and then got very used to it.
One suggestion is to have the handlebars a little higher than you'll ultimately have them. You can also rotate the bars a little - it does look a bit odd but it brings the brakes and gears a bit closer to you. Once you are more confident you can put it back.

Oh dear, am I wibbly wobbly on a road bike or what... :sad:

Had a chance to try the Wiggins again yesterday. Different shop to last time. Really helpful pair of chaps, they made sure that I actually fit on the 650 (which I do), but I really need to try and ride something like this someplace where there's no danger of hitting anything. :blush: I think it's a confidence thing as I used to ride a single gear road-ish bike when I was a kid... That was before I switched to the MTB...

Any suggestions / tips? Please tell me this will get easier / less embarrassing...

One thing I did learn is that the saddle on my MTB is a better fit for my derriere than the one that's on the Wiggins. So whatever bike I end up getting, I'll probably be swapping the saddle over...

It's probably just a confidence thing;my better half was the same when she got her Liv.a bit wobbly and she gripped the centre bars rather than the hoods(it does have cx brake levers as well) as she found it twitchy.Now she's ok on the hoods and can rattle along and she's also got used to the clipless pedals now.

I'd try and persevere without raising the bars too much as you might just get stuck in that sit up and beg style,maybe find somewhere quiet where you can practice without too much traffic around.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I think you're right about the confidence thing - a shop full of expensive display items isn't really the place to try and build up some speed... :wacko: A friend of mine who does triathlons says that the faster you go the easier it gets. :blink:

In any case, that's the reason I do want to give the Triban a go as one of the previous posters mentioned that the Decathlon in Lakeside has a test track - a good way of getting some sneaky practice in *before* buying a bike... :blush: Once I do have a bike, quiet places to ride and build up proficiency aren't a problem; there are some nice places to do that out here.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Just a wee update...

Popped into Decathlon in Surrey Quays yesterday as I was in the area, and managed to have a play with the Triban... Well, of a sort... They only had the XXXS and the XS in stock, and one was too small and the other too big. Actually, the XS was way too big LOL, and I managed to umm, cleave myself in two with it... The XXXS felt and looked about the same size as the Wiggo Rouen 540, but I had a play and found that I can actually ride and control a road bike without embarrassing myself too much.

But now that I've actually seen both bikes in the flesh, I'm going to swing for the Wiggins - it just seems to me like a much nicer bike all round. As there's a reasonable discount on it at the moment it seems like the right time to buy, so hopefully I should have one soon ^_^ I will of course let you all know how I get on with it. Kinda rather excited now. :blush:

VintageRuby

Clinging on for dear life.
I'm hoping that you knowledgeable folks can help me out. Am looking for a bike that I can ride to improve my fitness and shed a few stubborn wobbly bits. My very ancient Leopard 10 mountain bike isn't really fit for purpose anymore and as a result I haven't ridden it in a while. If I want to be perfectly honest it is too big and too heavy for me and I don't ride off road, which is why I'm thinking of finally ditching it and getting road bike.

I'm just looking to get out and ride, get some exercise and then push myself a little further once I've got back into the groove of cycling. I live quite rural, so have plenty of country lanes to ride around.

My problem is that I'm short. 4' 11" in fact with 27" inside leg. I also have a very limited budget of around £350. There is a little bit of stretch in that, but please bear in mind that I will also need a new helmet and a few other sundries.

Would it be a preposterous idea to look at junior bikes given both my height and budget?

I've only just started looking, but two bikes have caught my eye - the Wiggins Rouen Junior 650c (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/wiggins-rouen-junior-road-bike-650c) and the Boardman Junior Road (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/end-of-line-bikes/boardman-junior-road-sport-e-bike).

I'd be grateful for advice that can point me in the right direction.
Not at all, I'm 5ft3" and I'm on a "girls" bike, works perfectly for me

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Just to update...

Coming up to two months owning and riding the Wiggins Rouen and have to say I really, really love the bike. Right decision to buy it *and* it's made cycling fun again. :dance: It's made me *want* to go out and ride, and the difference between it and my old bike is like chalk and cheese. Actually, in the last two months, I've only ridden my old bike twice. :blush:

Am quite happily doing leisure rides of around 15 miles on it and am looking at going further now that I'm starting to have some more time on my hands (Was looking after mum following her hip replacement op). The bike's also been pressed into service as a commuter - it's so nice to have a light, well-fitting bike to ride home on at the end of a long day as opposed to an old, knackered clunker that you keep wanting to throw into the nearest hedge. And there is also a certain amusement value to be had when locking it up next to a large-framed roadie. :laugh: It's had a few admiring glances from other commuters too.

I will be adding some guards to it soon - have some SKS raceblades on order - as mucky derriere is not a good look.

The only thing that I'm really looking at changing is the saddle, because after about 10 miles or so, I start to go numb in the downstairs department. :blush: At the moment it's manageable, but if, as I'm intending, to ride further, that will need to be addressed. Probably with a ladies-specific saddle.

So if you short ladies are looking for a roadie that isn't going to break the bank (and that isn't a Triban) then I'd say give the Rouen a go.

And a :okay: to Halfords in Huntington for a good, helpful service.

P.S. @wanda2010 - how are you getting on with the Chartres? Hope you're still enjoying it.

wanda2010

Guru
Really happy you are enjoying your new bike :hello::okay::okay:

I really love my Chartres. Such a relief to have a bike where I can use different-sized tyres finally. I currently have slicks on it but will put the 'fat' tyres back on this weekend. London potholes should tremble ^_^.

Just to update...

Coming up to two months owning and riding the Wiggins Rouen and have to say I really, really love the bike. Right decision to buy it *and* it's made cycling fun again. :dance: It's made me *want* to go out and ride, and the difference between it and my old bike is like chalk and cheese. Actually, in the last two months, I've only ridden my old bike twice. :blush:

Am quite happily doing leisure rides of around 15 miles on it and am looking at going further now that I'm starting to have some more time on my hands (Was looking after mum following her hip replacement op). The bike's also been pressed into service as a commuter - it's so nice to have a light, well-fitting bike to ride home on at the end of a long day as opposed to an old, knackered clunker that you keep wanting to throw into the nearest hedge. And there is also a certain amusement value to be had when locking it up next to a large-framed roadie. :laugh: It's had a few admiring glances from other commuters too.

I will be adding some guards to it soon - have some SKS raceblades on order - as mucky derriere is not a good look.

The only thing that I'm really looking at changing is the saddle, because after about 10 miles or so, I start to go numb in the downstairs department. :blush: At the moment it's manageable, but if, as I'm intending, to ride further, that will need to be addressed. Probably with a ladies-specific saddle.

So if you short ladies are looking for a roadie that isn't going to break the bank (and that isn't a Triban) then I'd say give the Rouen a go.

And a :okay: to Halfords in Huntington for a good, helpful service.

P.S. @wanda2010 - how are you getting on with the Chartres? Hope you're still enjoying it.

The better half get's on really well with the Liv/Giant saddles;she got one for the hybrid(it's a bit wider than the road one) off e-bay for about £15 brand new so might be worth looking there,not too much of a risk if you can pick one up cheap.

Think Specialized Ruby Expert and Sella Italia Diva are well regarded.

Road.cc article and reviews;

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/207800-buyers-guide-womens-saddles-8-best

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
@wanda2010 - tickled pink you're enjoying the Chartres. :girldance: Just mind those potholes don't bite back though. Some of them are evil. :evil: Am seriously thinking about getting one as my N+1 once I've saved up some more pennies. Then I can finally ditch my old clunker - well, ok, the frame might still be worth something to someone...

@Bonefish Blues - thank you for the heads up on the article. There's a few things in there I can still try (e.g. saddle angle) before committing to finding a new saddle. :okay:

@Elybazza61 - I'll have a look at some of those. I'm thinking something with a cut-out should solve the numb bum issues if I can't solve the problem with the tweaks suggested above. :okay:

Top Bottom