Shorter & Rochford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barr313

Quote from the classic lightweights site http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/index.html

Harold Peters was the frame builder for Alan Shorter until the mid-60s. He is not too sure when Vic Edwards took over as the frame builder. He thinks it was in 1965 but could have been a bit before then. Barry Chick builds the frames now.

My Shorter is without doubt the love of my bike life!

Here are a few photos, oh and the frame number which didn't photograph is either 12169 or possibly 18169, it is a 54cm frame and glides over the ground like no other bike I have ever had the fortunate pleasure to ride.

PB1.JPG

Attachments

• PB2.JPG
    PB2.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 80
  • PB3.JPG
    PB3.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 80
  • PB4.JPG
    PB4.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 72

barr313

Some photos of the Alan Shorters I have.
Dark red / maroon bought from the shop in 1977 but probably in the window for a while as the transfers were cracking and damaged. I bought this recently and have a copy of the original bill.
This is the frame with no number.

Early intertwined initials head / seat tube badge on 7055.

Another of the rear seat stay cluster on 8515
IMG_6579.JPG
IMG_6583.JPG
IMG_4197.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG

midlife

Guru
I guess the red one has been refinished as the reynolds decal is after 1977 and the internal routing on the top tube is unusual?

barr313

I guess the red one has been refinished as the reynolds decal is after 1977 and the internal routing on the top tube is unusual?
Yes it was refinished and the bottle, cable routing on the top tube and down tube lever fixing points were added. I bought this from the original owner recently and he did tell me these were added for himself and also it was a pale bluey / green originally. The photo is how I collected it and its got the Campag record headset, hubs and seatpost from the orignal build. I am slowly buying the rest of the period parts and the Shimano stuff on it will go. Cinelli bars and stem will stay and I have a B17 to fit on. When it was refinished there were no decals available, I drew some of them and another member of the Loondon fixed gear and single speed group drew the head badge for me. As I had spares from the Green / Yellow one these went onto the bike.
When I stripped the paint from the white one you could still see the Alan Shorter lettering almost imprinted on the metal. Once blast cleaned this was no longer visible.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@barr313 nice original condition

oldtel

Hi,
nice Shorter, glad to see another one with a wrap over stay, I haven't seen many other Shorter's with them. Just to add to your list is my 1970 Shorter ( Barry Chick built I believe ), the frame I think is original, the mixed 'groupset' ^_^ is not, I believe it was built/finished on 14th September 1970 - 14970, I was told that the Barry Chick serial numbers were the date during this period, please correct me if not so. My one has a different Shorter decal, used later in the year ? They do look frail, if so, this must of been the decal before switching to the more robust simplified Shorter decal in 1972/3.
Thanks Terry
P1020785.JPG
P1020789.JPG

barr313

Thanks Terry for posting plus the info - every little bit helps.
Cannot comment re Barry Chick frame numbering but you are probably correct.

The head / seat tube badge. Bit of a conumdrum. Alan had moved from Woodhouse road by 1963 / 64 and used a different style of badge.
Now there are three types of badge before the very simple much later version. Plus the address change.
I assume you have seen the page about Alan on the http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/ web site.

Barry

barr313

What I have so far. The frame numbering looks to be correct when you look at all the file titles.

upload_2019-2-2_17-21-49.png

For bottom 4 ones a different system has been used by the look of it. But is 7725 the 25 one in 77 like wise 7055. but this does not work for 5847 - 8515
Any additions / corrections very welcome.
Barry

Top Bottom