Shorter & Rochford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spog

Regular
Hi Guy's I've just joined the forum, I've just purchased an Alan Shorter that was on a well known auction site (460 mile round trip), after stripping it down the frame and fork number is 8071, it has the AWS decal and the 71 ELTHORNE RD address does anybody know if these decals are available or roughly the year of the bike, it's got a various ago of components.
I'll try upload some photos soon. Thanks for letting me join.

Spog

Regular
Down tube decal.jpg
This is how it looked before I stripped it down.

Attachments

• Head tube decal.jpg
    Head tube decal.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Side view1.jpg
    Side view1.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 46
I don't know if you can get the transfers but you could take lots of photos with measurements for future reference so that replicas could be made if yours were to become damaged further .

Spog

Regular
Frame number on the Bottom Bracket and the forks now its stripped down.

Attachments

• BB Frame number.jpg
    BB Frame number.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Fork frame number.jpg
    Fork frame number.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 56

nonowt

Über Member
very nice - I spotted that on ebay. H Lloyd would be the natural place to get replacement decals but they only seem to have to art deco style ones - as said above if you get some good pictures and measurements they may be willing to reproduce them. I'm guessing you've seen this but just in case:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/shorter-builders.html

oh, and as @biggs682 hints above - please resist the temptation to repaint. It should polish up nicely.

Spog

Regular
Yeah I've had decals from H Lloyds before. I'm just going to clean to frame and parts up and put it back together. It will go will in m ever increasing bike collection. Anybody any idea of the age of the Shorter, i'm guessing from classicweights around the earlier 60s?

barr313

I have the later style decals ( Head / seat tube abd the block letterering - self adhesive on thin plastic ) for both of Alans addresses.
No charge as I had them printed at no cost.
When I can get around to it I would like to redraw the head badge used on your machine.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
@Spog welcome to the forum
That fine machine was in my watch folder as well
Must admit i was tempted to keep the original patina if had gone for it
Patina. Come on thats ****** speak.:laugh:

Spog

Regular
20190615_140615.jpg

Update on the Shorter cleaned and regreased with new wheel, bb and headset bearings trying to keep most of the parts it came with.

Attachments

• 20190615_140625.jpg
    20190615_140625.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190615_140707.jpg
    20190615_140707.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190615_140717.jpg
    20190615_140717.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

barr313

I have had the older intertwined Alan Shorter head badge drawn and have some available if needed and can have more printed if these run out.
I had to pay for both the drawing and printing but I will set a sensible price for two head / seat tube badges and for four of the block Alan Shorter down / head tube lettering of £10-00 per set including UK postage. I will only supply against a frame number and if possible a photo of the frame they are to go on.
The block lettering is cut around all the letters as is the head badge around the outer edges and in the two small lower panels and will come with the transfer paper required to fix to the frame. You will need to attach the transfer paper to the decal and then carefully peel the decal off the backing so it is attached to the transfer paper, then position the decal on the frame and very carefully peel back the transfer paper ( do this as close to decal as possible do not hold it at right angles to the decal and pull upwards you need to roll it off. Once all in place a coat of clear will seal it against the weather. Do not tear the transfer paper as you apply the decal cut it with scissors if you tear it then all the little bits will stick to the decal and will make bumps when applied. I will do a proper set of instructions to go put with each set. 503896

Spog

Regular
Hi Barr, I would be very interested in a set of the above decals to keep in storage for my Shorter in previous posts. How do I purchase them from you ?
Regards Mark

Top Bottom