Shorter Shorts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User269

At 5' 6", and after 45 years of cycling, I continue to dream of a pair of cycling shorts that don't come down below my knees and have an inseam of about 9". I had some success with Slick who offer a shorter short, but it's still a bit on the long side. Just to complicate matters, I'm now a fan of bib shorts which seem so much more comfortable. I just about scrape in with a 32" waist, so do you know of anything out there which might fit the bill? If I get back to the 28" waist of my youth (no chance), will the shorts be shorter? Should I try womens' shorts? Or get longer legs? Is there such a thing as tailor made shorts?? Help!!

At 5' 6", and after 45 years of cycling, I continue to dream of a pair of cycling shorts that don't come down below my knees and have an inseam of about 9". Should I try womens' shorts? Or get longer legs? Is there such a thing as tailor made shorts?? Help!!

Unfortunately women's shorts have the chamois padding cut to, er, suit their 'requirements', so wouldn't be comfortable for us fellas.

Without knowing of a good solution, you may be lucky trying Italian-made shorts, as cyclists from there tend to be a tad shorter and Italian shorts, Santini, for example, come up on the small/short side!

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/12824/Santini-Top-CX-New-Bibshorts---Black.html

screenman

Legendary Member
Imsport have always made mine to measure, they have been bought out by Renolds sports but with much the same staff they should be able to help. Top quality gear in my opinion of course.

jay clock

Massive member
Look at triathlon shorts. Some of these have an adequate pad and are an inch or two shorter in the leg. My Ironman branded ones are quite short

OP
OP
U

User269

Look at triathlon shorts. Some of these have an adequate pad and are an inch or two shorter in the leg. My Ironman branded ones are quite short

Thanks dayvo, and others; can you give me a link to your suggestions as I'm not finding anything here. I'm no seamstress but is it really possible to cut lycra and reattach the leg gripper??

sgw

Thanks dayvo, and others; can you give me a link to your suggestions as I'm not finding anything here. I'm no seamstress but is it really possible to cut lycra and reattach the leg gripper??

http://www.impsport.com/

There are also these but not bib unfortunately.

Don't know about cutting and resewing but would be interested to hear from numbnuts though his screen name doesn't inspire confidence in the results. ;)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
http://www.impsport.com/

There are also these but not bib unfortunately.

Don't know about cutting and resewing but would be interested to hear from numbnuts though his screen name doesn't inspire confidence in the results. ;)
two pairs I have cut down - and the numbnuts was after an accident :ohmy:

Attachments

• shorts 2.jpg
    shorts 2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 80
  • shorts 01.jpg
    shorts 01.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 73

Fiona N

Veteran
...I'm no seamstress but is it really possible to cut lycra and reattach the leg gripper??

I'd have to mention that it's a bit of a fag - the gripper is usually attached by overlocker so the unpicking is tedious. Other than that, it's pretty simple, although beware that the gripper might be rather tight if it was designed to fit above the knee and it now mid-thigh - unless of course, you've rather - shall we say - lightly muscled legs :smile:

OP
OP
U

User269

Hmm...some helpful links and comments there. I think the appropriately named and frightning 'numbnuts' pics are way too sexy for me :biggrin: . And the tailor mods look a bit complicated. Needless to say, the helpful link to the 6" inseam tri shorts show a product that's out of stock............but what a change to see a short that tells you the inseam as this is ultimately what I'm after. The Italian option is one I've tried before with some success, but here again there's an assumption that someone with a 32" waist will be 6' 4". Maybe the leg transplant isn't such a bad idea............:ohmy:

I'll do a search on those out of stock tri shorts, but any other comments are most welcome!

Top Bottom