Shorts for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

Like a great many people, my plans for a short tour (my first) in France and Belgium were thwarted by Covid 19. While disappointing personally, I'm acutely aware that this was a trivial outcome in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, I've started thinking about doing a slightly longer tour next year, focussing on Belgium. This will be done at a sedate pace with plenty of sightseeing and food stops. When cycling near home I tend to wear the standard mamil gear - I'm mainly on the bike so don't really care how awful it looks to passers-by.

However, for sightseeing I'd rather wear something less offensive on the eye; probably baggy shorts. I'm looking for advice on what to wear under these. Regular bike shorts would be too heavy in the summer, so padded liners are the obvious solution. I only have one pair (endura) and the pad is really poor - I'd hate to wear these for 40 or 50 miles in a day.

Any advice on liner shorts with decent pads?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I was going to suggest these:
NINTCHDBPICT000463472085-e1548151623460.jpg

But then you said "less offensive"... So im already out of ideas.

shnjmsn

Über Member
The shorts seem good, but the liner has the same pad as the ones I have. Having become used to padded comfort from Mavic and Rapha I'm looking for something a bit more like that.

Hmmmm................... Then possibly a pair of top end/pro MTB shorts....... Not sure which brand makes these though ? We ride in Belgium a fair bit and I just wear normal bib shorts. So much cycling there that no one notices or cares ^_^

Gunk

Guru

this ^^^

Sports direct sell them for peanuts under £20

Reactions: Dwn

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have got some Gore C5 Shorts. They are nice and very suitable for going for a meal in. They are great for riding in and brilliant in the rain. They are light and breathable.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Swrve shorts or 3/4's are my choice, cycling shorts underneath. The shorts are quite short, even on me (I'm definitely short), but I shorten the 3/4's as there a bit long.

Top Bottom