Should cycling be allowed on the pavement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petek

Über Member
not in my experience.
Maybe if one detaches it and hurls it towards the unsuspecting pedestrian by way of warning.
Otherwise, meh.
An inaudible bell is beyond useless.
Chap on the prom the other day riding a road bike.
Tinging away on his little bell like a demented budgerigar and still not being heard.
One press on a Pashley bell gives you a good loud ding dong.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
not in my experience.
Some are better than most, but in my experience most are too quiet and eventually the hammer spring bends (making them quieter) or a plastic part cracks (making them quieter if not silent). Rotary, ding dong, temple or whatever, all tend to be better. Occasionally, you might find an effective little plastic ping ping but they seem rare.

mjr

I think 'Ding Ding Ding', 'Ping Ping Ping', 'Ding Dong', whatever, no matter how soft or loud, is the cyclists' equivalent of a blast on the horn of a car - 'Get out of my way!' Even if the car driver only intends to indicate that they are there, it sounds imperious and impersonal.
No, you think it does. Maybe that's how you would mean it, but my experience is that most people appreciate a tuneful approach and take it in the way it's intended. Also, as others have mentioned, some bells allow quite expressive playing - everything from a gentle Queen's Bicycle Race to an old fire engine style alarm ringing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think 'Ding Ding Ding', 'Ping Ping Ping', 'Ding Dong', whatever, no matter how soft or loud, is the cyclists' equivalent of a blast on the horn of a car - 'Get out of my way!' Even if the car driver only intends to indicate that they are there, it sounds imperious and impersonal.
I'm with you and very rarely use my bell. I much prefer saying good morning etc.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've never had a bad reaction from ringing my bell. If people get annoyed at the sound of a bike bell... then they're too grumpy to bother pussyfooting around... but i've never experienced that... only read about it here on CC.
It's just a perception... on my part as to how I think it sounds to me, bit like using a car horn on the road. My main cycling buddy uses her bell lots.

I just did 14 miles on a shared path today. No bell, I call out. My standard call is " coming up slowly on your {whatever}" Or I wait or I ride past slowly or the crunching of gravel gives me away or I'm just not heard at all.

The only time I've ever fallen out with someone as a walker on a shared path was someone who approached tinging their bell continuously at me. I may have intimated to him that there was a place where his bell might not be heard, which was overly irritable of me. Someone once rang an electronic thing at me; I went left, right, up, down, I may have even squawked slightly in shock. Someone else tooted one of those clown bells at me. I smiled at that.

mjr

I just did 14 miles on a shared path today. No bell, I call out. My standard call is " coming up slowly on your {whatever}" Or I wait or I ride past slowly or the crunching of gravel gives me away or I'm just not heard at all.
In my experience, riding past slowly surprises people if you've not announced your approach unless you're passing really wide, like 3m+ clearance.

As for crunching gravel... you're riding quieter places than me, or it's much noisier gravel.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I find a cheery good morning, no matter the time of day works excellently.
Before i bought a bell... more than a few walkers on the shared use paths and canal towpath suggested i get a bell (after very slowly approaching from behind, saying hello, excuse me or whatever). I eventually did.
Since getting a bell, no one has suggested i don't use it (well, no one outside of cyclechat).

The only time I've ever fallen out with someone as a walker on a shared path was someone who approached tinging their bell continuously at me. I may have intimated to him that there was a place where his bell might not be heard, which was overly irritable of me. Someone once rang an electronic thing at me; I went left, right, up, down, I may have even squawked slightly in shock. Someone else tooted one of those clown bells at me. I smiled at that.

I irritated a walker once. Anyway cycling along and there was said lady walking along canal path. I slow down and wait for opportunity to pass. Old lady heard me and moved to the side so I said "cheers" as I passed. No sooner had I thanked her she started ranting about how I should have made alerted her somehow. (clearly I did?). I returned fire with obscenities matched only by Bismarck's main guns. Also gave the flying V over my shoulder as I could hear here continuing to mutter her pedantry as I cycled off.

Same procedure, similar circumstances as when passing everybody else, yet spectacularly different attitude with this particular individual. I felt she hated cyclists so I had to try my best to justify that hatred. I bet her whole day was ruined lol! Because I know how some people get so upset over daft crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom