Should cycling be allowed on the pavement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I did it regularly on about a 50m section of pavement to get on to the Erskine bridge without interrupting traffic joining the M8. I still do it on my new commute on a slightly longer section. The alternative is cycling up hill on a dual carriageway in the fast lane to negotiate a right turn on a roundabout. I know that I should be able to do that, but my risk assessment tells me to remove the risk entirely and cross over on the pedestrian crossing and do a short burst on the pavement.
I do similar with a short section of pavement on a regular ride

david k

Hi
Thats a justice system issue. Murder should generally be a mandatory life sentence. In this country minor issues are over enforced. Major crimes are nowhere near punished enough.

Didn't post nonsense. You just disagree with me about expecting the police to be sensible.

"The courts should use chickens. The judge should slap defendants with dead chickens and my armpits smell of pasta."

Learn to differentiate "nonsense" from something you simply disagree with in future. It makes you sound like a pillock even tho you're probably quite lovely.
I agree, but whilst there are many people saying prison is to rehabilitate prisoners not punish this will continue. If someone commits a bad crime, goes to jail, gets out and does the same the process is blamed not the person.
It shouldn't be surprising that prisoners commit crime, too easy to blame something else, what's happened to people taking responsibility?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Only for kids.
Or the elderly.
Or those with a physical disability that makes road cycling difficult.
Or the mentally impaired who may need supervision, and of course their supervisors.

Nah... stuff it, just let everyone cycle on the pavement. Bicycles really aren't that dangerous compared to motor vehicles.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Or the elderly.
Or those with a physical disability that makes road cycling difficult.
Or the mentally impaired who may need supervision, and of course their supervisors.
That lot goes without saying, It's just common sense, Don't really know what has happened to that, a lot of people don't seem to have any. as for adults riding on normal pavements it's a no from me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
U

User482

That lot goes without saying, It's just common sense, Don't really know what has happened to that, a lot of people don't seem to have any. as for adults riding on normal pavements it's a no from me.
So young children should ride unsupervised? That doesn't seem like common sense to me.

Reactions: mjr
Repeat the same experiment on a bicycle at walking pace.

What is your dataset to support a claim that cycling on the pavement isn't safer than cycling on the carriageway?
I still don't understand where you are going with this. Cyclists on the pavement are rarely going anywhere near walking pace.

And coincidently I had a BB failure 15km from home last Friday. I continued at walking pace or just a little faster all the way home on B and A roads. I was neither struck or harassed by any passing vehicles. I would expect at least a few toots if I had been walking on the same roads.

I still don't understand where you are going with this. Cyclists on the pavement are rarely going anywhere near walking pace.

And coincidently I had a BB failure 15km from home last Friday. I continued at walking pace or just a little faster all the way home on B and A roads. I was neither struck or harassed by any passing vehicles. I would expect at least a few toots if I had been walking on the same roads.

The speed is another issue.

Many years ago (2004)there was a document produce as a "Local Transport Note" that suggested a "Code of conduct for cyclists"

The document was titled Adjacent and Shared Use Facilities for Pedestrians and Cyclists ( Annex D: Code of Conduct Notice for Cyclists) and was an advisory that suggested a code that could be adopted

Annex D: Code of conduct notice for cyclists

The following key messages are suggested as the basis for a code of conduct notice for cyclists. The code could be posted at points of entry and at intervals along the route. This will be especially useful when the facility is new.

• If a feature segregating cyclists from pedestrians is present, keep to the cyclist's side. This will be indicated on blue and white road signs and by cycle logos on the surface.

• Ride on the left hand side of the area available to you. If you need to overtake another cyclist, give a gentle ring on your bell or say 'Excuse me'.

• When coming up behind pedestrians, always pass them at a safe distance, and slowly enough so that you could avoid them if they made a sudden change in direction.

• Remember that some pedestrians may be hard of hearing or visually impaired and hence might not be aware of you. If in doubt, give a gentle ring on your bell or say 'Excuse me'.

• Always respect pedestrians even if they stray onto the cycling side (if there is one); they are entitled to do so. Always thank people who move out of your way.

• Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.

• Use lights at night.

• In pedestrianised areas, only ride your cycle if there aren't too many pedestrians about; otherwise dismount and push it. When visiting shops etc, park your cycle so that people will not trip over it; use formal cycle parking if available.

I remember discussing it at the time, and felt that 18 mph was a little excessive.

Sutsrans also had a code of conduct for ALL users:

• use the path in a way that is considerate to the comfort and safety of others
  • if there is a dividing line segregating cyclists from pedestrians, keep to the appropriate side; this is normally indicated on blue and white road signs and by logos on the road surface
  • when it's dark, or in dull conditions, make sure you are visible to others, use lights at night
  • be particularly careful at junctions, bends, entrances onto the path, or any other ‘blind spots’ where people could appear in front of you without warning
  • when riding a bike, travel at a speed appropriate to the conditions and ensure you can stop in time
  • be courteous and patient with other path users who are moving more slowly than you and slow down as needed when space is limited or if you cannot see clearly ahead
  • give way to slower users and wheelchair users and take care around horse riders leaving them plenty of room, especially when approaching from behind
  • keep your dog under control which may require a short lead

... and an additional one for cyclists that was adopted by many including the late CTC

• Give way to pedestrians and wheelchair users;
  • Take care around horse-riders, leaving them plenty of room, especially when approaching from behind;
  • Be courteous and patient with pedestrians and other path users who are moving more slowly than you – shared paths are for sharing, not speeding;
  • Cycle at a sensible speed and do not use the paths for recording times with challenge apps or for fitness training;
  • Slow down when space is limited or if you cannot see clearly ahead;
  • Be particularly careful at junctions, bends, entrances onto the path, or any other ‘blind spots’ where people (including children) could appear in front of you without warning;
  • Keep to your side of any dividing line;
  • Carry a bell and use it, or an audible greeting, to avoid surprising people or horses;
  • However, don’t assume people can see or hear you – remember that many people are hard of hearing or visually impaired;
  • In dull and dark weather make sure you have lights so you can be seen.

there are common themes and some disagreements, but are any of them that unrealistic in the context of this thread?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
BB failure 15km from home last Friday. I continued at walking pace or just a little faster all the way home on B and A roads. I was neither struck or harassed by any passing vehicles. I would expect at least a few toots if I had been walking on the same roads.
Were they fast B and A roads where there's always a high speed differential between motorists and people on bikes? Lots of drivers regard you as near-stopped on such roads even when you're going at a fair lick, which is why one of the top collision types is a cyclist getting side-swiped as a nobber pulls back in before they're clear.

Many years ago (2004)there was a document produce as a "Local Transport Note" that suggested a "Code of conduct for cyclists"
It only got as far as a consultation draft when it was told to go fornicate itself and never issued. It would have been absurd for government to tell cyclists to go no faster than 18mph while simultaneously telling councils to build for 20mph average cycling speed - it would have been an admission of failure of the still-ongoing system. Of course, the system has failed and councils should have a legal duty to meet the long-standing minimum standard, but there's little chance of that before the end of Localism Lunacy.

Top Bottom