Should have listened to CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
But I didn't, not this time.
More precisely, should have listened to @Mr.Jamie, who in his wisdoms recommends carrying a spare inner tube even if you have slimed tyres.
I usually do, will do again, always, I swear! needed to lighten my rucksack this morning, knew I would return from my shift at the Good Food Show loaded with a bumper cargo of german sausages and giant stuffed olives :dance:
Rode my Boris to work, he had a visit from the P.fairy a while ago, tube self healed like by magic, should have changed it nevertheless ... but I didn't. Should have taken Gonzales instead ... but I didn't.
My back wheel deflated in proximity of the Glasgow Green cycling club's Sunday morning meeting point, not for the first time in that spot either: it seems I am destined to embarrass myself in front of that crowd in a loop of deja vu: last winter they saw me sliding on ice, probably they are still laughing!
No chance of a magically repaired tube this time: my pump tries a valve to valve resuscitation to no avail.
We have a problem, Huston!
Phone my work, all good. Could have walked the couple of miles left in 30 min, for time keeping's sake decided to walk out of the park, phone a black taxi.
The driver did not like the idea of my bike near his upholstery (you would think I was trying to get him to transport a butchered pig), let me sit on the floor of the cab holding the bike, was altogether really rude.
Got my revenge by leaving him a hefty tip with a disdained look :dry:
Will never ignore CycleChat's advice ever again.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
You have learned your lesson, Pat 5mph. :ninja:

Never forget CC ! :laugh:

Glad you made it in the end. ^_^

Did you get your goodies at the foodies show ? :hungry:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Pat made me look clever ^_^

I was changing tubes/tyres on Wednesday and discovered my spare re-used tube I've been carrying around for the past year had 2 punctures in it :crazy: So I ordered another when i got back from the pub :cheers: and when it arrived, found out i'd accidentally clicked the wrong valve type and couldn't use it. :smile:

Did the show have good cake?

potsy

Rambler
What kind of idiot goes out without a spare tube? :unsure:

After all your bad comments about those taxi drivers I'm surprised they didn't make you walk to work :tongue:

Davidc

Guru
Ah. A lesson we all have to learn at some stage in our lives.

Just don't forget it.

Tube*
Levers x 2*
Park Tools glueless patch kit*
mini pump*
means of wheel removal (or QR)*
chain tool
quick link
CO2 inflator
Multitool
small pliers
Elastoplast
Latex Gloves

*the absolute minimum

All that fits in a small underseat bag from lbs, Halfords, Online store, wherever.

There's even room for some spare batteries for lights.

There are a few nearby places I go where I don't take the kit, but not many. That kit will take care of most problems when out on the road. It's rare for me to have to lock up the bike and find other means of getting home. Has happened though.

Fubar

Guru
But I didn't, not this time.
More precisely, should have listened to @Mr.Jamie, who in his wisdoms recommends carrying a spare inner tube even if you have slimed tyres.
I usually do, will do again, always, I swear! needed to lighten my rucksack this morning, knew I would return from my shift at the Good Food Show loaded with a bumper cargo of german sausages and giant stuffed olives :dance:
Rode my Boris to work, he had a visit from the P.fairy a while ago, tube self healed like by magic, should have changed it nevertheless ... but I didn't. Should have taken Gonzales instead ... but I didn't.
My back wheel deflated in proximity of the Glasgow Green cycling club's Sunday morning meeting point, not for the first time in that spot either: it seems I am destined to embarrass myself in front of that crowd in a loop of deja vu: last winter they saw me sliding on ice, probably they are still laughing!
No chance of a magically repaired tube this time: my pump tries a valve to valve resuscitation to no avail.
We have a problem, Huston!
Phone my work, all good. Could have walked the couple of miles left in 30 min, for time keeping's sake decided to walk out of the park, phone a black taxi.
The driver did not like the idea of my bike near his upholstery (you would think I was trying to get him to transport a butchered pig), let me sit on the floor of the cab holding the bike, was altogether really rude.
Got my revenge by leaving him a hefty tip with a disdained look :dry:
Will never ignore CycleChat's advice ever again.

That showed him... :whistle:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Rode to town this morning to meet my pal: we shared the booty I got from the Good Food Show.
For her birthday she got a present of a mixed bag of German cured meats, she was delighted :wahhey:
Spare tube plus tools in my rucksack - gonna leave some kit in my work too :smile:
Learned my lesson!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Did the show have good cake?
Oh, lots of good food stuff :hungry:
Thing is I'm actually not allowed to leave my mobile coffee unit while manning it, nor am I allowed to buy anything from the exhibitors .... :biggrin: ... had the same feeling I get when I'm red light jumping at 3am :hyper:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

I am a member of Glasgow Green CC and yes, we do have a running theme of having a good laugh at commuters falling on ice... :whistle:
Oh, you little :evil: ;)
Skipped the green this morning, went round the gorbals instead, bit too icy even with the Winters.
On my next Sunday morning shift, I shall look out for you - give you a wee wave from far away, least I embarrass you with my MBSO :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
I was a little annoyed (understatement of the year alert) at myself a while back after I discovered the tube that has been lying in the bottom of my saddle bag for years and I had assumed was 700c was in fact 20 x 1 3/8" and belonged to my Raleigh Twenty:wacko:

Top Bottom