Should I be happy with this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillymate

Regular
Took my 2012(ish) Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid into Halfords for the free 36 point safety check they do. They told me I needed a new chain (which would come with new front and back gear set) and a new back tire. Fine, I said, and told them to proceed.

Picked the bike up today and was first of all surprised to see that the back tire seemed bigger and had a fair amount of tred - compared to the Bontager Race Lite Hard Case tyre that was previously on it. The tyre they’ve replaced it with is a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Is this acceptable? Just seems a bit fat and ‘mountain bike’ looking compared to the Race Lite I had on it.

Secondly, having ridden the bike a bit since, and having been promised that a new chain would mean the bike would change gear smoothly, I’ve found it to be the opposite - jagged gear changes, and not smooth at all. Will this sort itself out with a few rides or should I be taking it back to the shop?

Any help with both issues would be greatly appreciated. Picture of bike attached.

Attachments

• AC393DBC-EE61-4C3A-AB3A-3D5335B333C9.jpeg
    AC393DBC-EE61-4C3A-AB3A-3D5335B333C9.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 13

Ajax Bay

Guru
They told me I needed a new chain (which would come with new front and back gear set) and a new back tire. Fine, I said, and told them to proceed.
the Bontager Race Lite Hard Case tyre that was previously on it . . . they’ve replaced with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Is this acceptable?
What do you mean by "new front and back gear set". Chains don't "come" with anything. What is written (or stamped) on any new components?
It will not be the chain which has adversely affected the quality of the gear shifting - but a useful answer/opinion depends on your answer to Q1.
The Schwalbe M+ they've replaced it with is probably the closest they had to the puncture 'protection' provided by the 'Hard Case'. It will last for ever (but is probably more than twice the weight of the Bontrager). Suspect same nominal width. Worth practising taking it off and refitting it in the comfort of your home/workshop ;). MTBP is very very long.
HTH

l4dva

Guru
If the gear change isn't smooth after a new chain/cassette I would take it back. As part of fitting the chain/cassette they would at a minimum need to make should the gear mech's are all aligned & working smoothly.

As for the tyre, that's up to you I guess. The choice of tyre is endless, personally I don't like big heavy super bomb proof tyres (harder work getting up hills) however the lighter tyres with good puncture protection usually cost a lot more.

OP
OP
G

Gillymate

Regular
What do you mean by "new front and back gear set". Chains don't "come" with anything. What is written (or stamped) on any new components?
It will not be the chain which has adversely affected the quality of the gear shifting - but a useful answer/opinion depends on your answer to Q1.
The Schwalbe M+ they've replaced it with is probably the closest they had to the puncture 'protection' provided by the 'Hard Case'. It will last for ever (but is probably more than twice the weight of the Bontrager). Suspect same nominal width. Worth practising taking it off and refitting it in the comfort of your home/workshop ;). MTBP is very very long.
HTH
Thanks, and I do mean new cassette and chain set.

OP
OP
G

Gillymate

Regular
If the gear change isn't smooth after a new chain/cassette I would take it back. As part of fitting the chain/cassette they would at a minimum need to make should the gear mech's are all aligned & working smoothly.

As for the tyre, that's up to you I guess. The choice of tyre is endless, personally I don't like big heavy super bomb proof tyres (harder work getting up hills) however the lighter tyres with good puncture protection usually cost a lot more.
Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
What size is the new tyre, and what size is the old one?

To be honest, next time your bike needs work you're better off buying the parts from the tip, parking the bike one the ground next to a multi storey car park, climbing to the top, and chucking all the parts off the roof in the approximate direction of the bike. Thats as likely to effect a satisfactory repair as taking it to the brain donors at Hellfrauds.

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
A bit harsh but true
What size is the new tyre, and what size is the old one?

To be honest, next time your bike needs work you're better off buying the parts from the tip, parking the bike one the ground next to a multi storey car park, climbing to the top, and chucking all the parts off the roof in the approximate direction of the bike. Thats as likely to effect a satisfactory repair as taking it to the brain donors at Hellfrauds.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There was probably no need for a chainset unless you've done mega miles on it. If bothered, go get a new front Marathon tyre to match - they are pretty bomb proof for general riding although a pig to fit.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There was probably no need for a chainset unless you've done mega miles on it.
We can't know what state the 8 year old chainset was in (mileage/maintenance) so there's minimal value in double guessing Halfords.
No doubt the chain was elongated so Halfords were right to recommend change of cassette and chain together.
There's no reason that the shifting quality would be any different with the three new items but it is - though possibly the new chainset has resulted in a slight change of chainline (old BB), which could result in indexing inaccuracy.
OP: there is an adjustment plastic 'knob' on the rear mech which you can turn to adjust the indexing. @Cycleops has a favourite video to help if you're not an indexing ninja. By all means 'take it back' (installation of the new parts would not include indexing the gears so check they'll do their best for free). Allow time when picking up to have a quick test ride to see whether it's to the standard you (and we) might reasonably desire. Immediate return to the workshop desk may get a faster even immediate response.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Halfords will be fitting 6/7/8sp chains all the time (ie almost as a default) and that will be the correct one (the bike is specced as 8sp). Give them some 'outside' credit.

Top Bottom