Should I be thinking about changing my cranks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
So this is my cadence over a hard 46 mile ride on 170mm cranks.
cadence.png
I'm thinking that I should be riding on longer cranks given the extreme nature of the cadence show, what do other people think?

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
spinning nicely but what gear are you in? spinning out ie no higher gears to use then change gearing but why change cranks? makes it harder to spin, uless you dont feel comfortable and want a slower cadence why change? horses for courses i think,

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
spinning nicely but what gear are you in? spinning out ie no higher gears to use then change gearing but why change cranks? makes it harder to spin, uless you dont feel comfortable and want a slower cadence why change? horses for courses i think,
The bike has an 11-32 cassette with a 30/42/58 chainring & 599x45c tyres so I was hitting the mid-50s before running out of gears. The reason for there being no bottom range to the cadence is that I was keeping the power high & one thing I quickly learnt is that big power at low cadence = serious drive train losses. Obviously there wasn't a problem with running out of gears at the bottom end

Top Bottom