Should I buy a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
No idea where the desire has come from, but I really want a brompton.

But I don't know what to use it for?

I've got a commuter for the 6 mile work trip, and a roadie for the weekends - so why should I get a brompton?

My wife has done a lot of eye rolling...

Rocky

Hello decadence
The answer to your question is yes.

it’s my favourite bike: I tour on it (in the UK and abroad) do short journeys on it round town and longer day rides. You won’t be able to do off road stuff but, for me, it’s comfortable and huge fun to ride.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm with your wife. It's a premium folder and unless you're using it for a train commute it's hard to justify. Why don't you buy a cheaper folder there are loads about especially second hand and try that?
I bought a used Bike Friday whilst in the UK a few months back and intend to use to travel by train somewhere and tour from there. It's a very different experience to a large wheel bike but by no means unpleasant. The fold isn't as neat as a Brompton but it's a quarter the price and ride is probably better.
If you like the kiddie wheels you could then maybe justify getting a Brommie.

davidphilips

Veteran
Try before you buy one? Wanted a folding bike a few years ago and bought an old folding Raleigh shopper but ended up giving it away as i just did not like using it, Tried a small wheel moulton and think they are great fun, my advice try one if you like it then as MarkF said buy one, don't use it, sell it, what would you lose? Not much.

vickster

Legendary Member
No idea where the desire has come from, but I really want a brompton.

But I don't know what to use it for?

I've got a commuter for the 6 mile work trip, and a roadie for the weekends - so why should I get a brompton?

My wife has done a lot of eye rolling...
Have you test ridden one?

RegG

Über Member
My daughter bought one earlier this year to use for a short ride to the train station then, at the other end, to the office. I borrowed it to take on holiday to Northumberland, riding it around the lanes around Seahouses. It is a different ride to a road bike or hybrid - the steering is direct and, until you get used to it, can feel quite twitchy; it can also feel unstable on unmade surfaces but so do road bikes! It folds easily and can be carried around without problem. My daughter has the 6 speed gears which, when you get used to them, work well. If you need a folding bike this is the one to go for. I had a Moulton bike some 50 years ago - 16" wheels, 4 speed Sturmey Archer gears - and it was brilliant! That bike had a stem on the steering so it wasn't as direct as the Brompton.

If SWMBO can be persuaded otherwise, go for a Brommy!!

Rocky

Hello decadence
I'm with your wife. It's a premium folder and unless you're using it for a train commute it's hard to justify. Why don't you buy a cheaper folder there are loads about especially second hand and try that?
I bought a used Bike Friday whilst in the UK a few months back and intend to use to travel by train somewhere and tour from there. It's a very different experience to a large wheel bike but by no means unpleasant. The fold isn't as neat as a Brompton but it's a quarter the price and ride is probably better.
If you like the kiddie wheels you could then maybe justify getting a Brommie.
What experience have you got riding a Brompton, Cyclops? Have you ever owned one or put some serious miles in on one? You always seem to be quite negative about them but I’d find it helpful to know why.

tom73

Guru
I'm with @MarkF on this one.
I've never ridden seen plenty can't make my mind up if they are great fun or a total nightmare.
Go for it if you can worse is you sell it can't see you losing too much at best you may end up loving it.
Only way is to try and see. Don't know if one is near you but brompton have a hire scheme.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm with @MarkF on this one.
I've never ridden seen plenty can't make my mind up if they are great fun or a total nightmare.
Go for it if you can worse is you sell it can't see you losing too much at best you may end up loving it.
Only way is to try and see. Don't know if one is near you but brompton have a hire scheme.
Think @straas is in Manchester
https://www.bromptonbikehire.com/docks/3154-manchester-windmill-green

I don't think the dock should have a full range and it's not cheap. All dealers have test bikes I believe so trying should be easy.
I ordered and paid for one when starting a partially London based contract in July, ride, train, ride (instead of tube). Before I collected it, I tried the journey and realised in the rush hour there's no way I'd get it on and off the train if I wanted a seat, it wouldn't save me much time and nor would it save me much money...so I cancelled the order! I found it fun on the test ride but with ahem 5 other bikes, I realised I'd rarely if ever ride it (the £1000 cost was no issue but it would have been a decadent waste of money)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would only buy another one if I had a ride/train/ride journey. I enjoyed the one I had about 20 years ago, but as said above it is a different ride to other bikes, but for me too many compromises when I don't need a folding bike. Plus, I am not sure I can see the value for money in them anymore. Compared to what I paid back in the day, even adjusting for inflation, they are incredibly expensive.

Top Bottom