Should I buy a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
When I got my Brompton last year the chap selling it mentioned that his wife had one for sale too.
A quick word with Mrs Tenkay and she had yet another bike 🤔

Mrs Tenkay has a custom built Roberts with Rohloff hub gears, it's done LEJOG and other adventures over the years, there's a Scott hybrid in the shed too.

It took a few rides to adjust to the Bromptons handling and gear changes, but now it's her favourite bike. The Roberts has become the shopping bike and the Scott hasn't been ridden in an age.

If you can get one on the Cycle to Work scheme then you can ride it for a year and sell it on if you find it's not for you. ( and possibly make a profit)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again ( in fact we both now have 2 Bromptons each) 😁

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Try first.
I bought one and hated it.
I see why people like them but a Brommie wasn't for me.
A year later I sold it on to someone on here who's mega happy with it.

Also, if you are going to do commutes in the rain and the muck that rain brings then do not buy a 6 speed. Rain kills the rear derailleur in no time at all. You have to keep it spotlessly clean other wise the smallest amount of muck will stop the gears changing properly..

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Just went to look at them in cycle republic.

Slightly bigger than I thought when folded up, but think I was expecting too much.

I had thought about the M6R (6 gears and rack) but the guy there didn't think the rack was that necessary? So possibly the M6L? Which I can get for £985 from evans at the moment.

Levo-Lon

Guru
It just says Lambretta to me.. I hated my only go on one of them.
Small wheels and shocking handling.

Maybe a Brompton works but i cant see it

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Slightly bigger than I thought when folded up, but think I was expecting too much.

I had thought about the M6R (6 gears and rack) but the guy there didn't think the rack was that necessary? So possibly the M6L? Which I can get for £985 from evans at the moment.

The carrier makes the folded package more stable, but if you use it as a carrier you have to remove all the luggage before parking or folding.

Luggage on the front improves the handling, so I wouldn't bother with a rear carrier.

Tenkaykev

Guru

I retro fitted a rack to my wife's Brommie. It's not really been used, the basket bag fits the bill for our shopping needs.

For me the rack makes the folding action more ungainly and isn't worth the extra weight.

I'll be removing it next week and putting it on Ebay, the cash will go towards something new for the bikes 😉

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Did you ride one? Before you get too giddy over a new bike, ride it.

Not today - pretty grim weather for a test ride.

I wouldn't really buy one if you didn't have a primary use for one OP. As they aren't cheap.

I used mine a lot for picking up supplies from suppliers (photos for media work etc).

But they are great bikes and great fun.

I also used it a lot for shopping - they make great shoppers - just stash them under the trolley.

And for trips involving trains and buses - once when living outside London for a while I took the train to London for a day's riding.

Mine has also been up mountains.

And had a brief career on "missions" about which I am sworn to secrecy.

Mine's the 5 speed (no rear mech) one - wheelbase is longer now I think - have no idea how much of a change that is/whether it's actually better.

12boy

Guru
There is a frequent comment that Bromptons are too expensive, and while it is true a special edition/TI version is spendy, a basic all steel version isn't so much, in my opinion. As mentioned earlier, they are very versatile bikes, being used successfully for loaded touring, multimodal transport, and what surprised me the most, an effective cargo bike when the front bag is used. So far my 2 speed set up hasn't proven too finicky in rain and the excellent fenders do a pretty good job of keeping me and the bike free of road grunge. Being an inveterate tinkerer, I've found it very easy to work on with the exception of reaming the seat post insert and replacing the rear triangle bushing. They are about 1200 pounds here for a basic 6 speed with fenders, and I would find it difficult to buy any bike with a handmade, brazed frame for that. Ride it and see if you like it. It is possible, though, if you get one and wife gives it a try, you might wind up with 2. Of course, both of them will take less space in your car or dwelling than many nonfolders.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Regarding the rack....
I added one to my S6L as you can’t roll the thing around without the rack, and it helps greatly. But the standard rack is fairly but not totally useless for carrying things and is quite heavy and ugly so I’m thinking of removing it and replacing with a lightweight non OEM rack designed as an aid to rolling her folded rather than rack duties. The front block and associated bags work brilliantly.

Top Bottom