Should I buy a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've had mine out this week while the hybrid is broken. I've forgotten how much I love riding it. And you make so many more friends with a Brompton - everyone wants to watch you fold & unfold it.

GM

Legendary Member
Up until 6 months ago I had 2 Bromptons, a 3 speed and a 6 speed. Reluctantly I sold the 3 speed one which was 10 years old, I've been regretting it ever since, even though I got almost as much as I paid for it with people queuing up to buy it. Here they are on holiday.....

Love the 6 speed, that's a keeper!

I would like to get another, maybe pimp it up a bit to make it unique.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Up until 6 months ago I had 2 Bromptons, a 3 speed and a 6 speed. Reluctantly I sold the 3 speed one which was 10 years old, I've been regretting it ever since, even though I got almost as much as I paid for it with people queuing up to buy it. Here they are on holiday.....

View attachment 494491

Love the 6 speed, that's a keeper!

I would like to get another, maybe pimp it up a bit to make it unique.
I want a stripped-down titanium 2 speed :-))

tyred

Legendary Member
If you can afford it, go for it. They have many uses and it's so easy to carry it in the car or bus.

With the large front bag fitted, they are so practical for carrying groceries or running errands.

They are in some ways the ultimate touring bike if you don't mind walking the odd hill. The front T-bag holds a lot and I added a Carradice saddle bag (I have a Brooks saddle) for a little more space and to balance the bike out better. The front bag unclips easily, the saddle bag is only a matter of (the slightly tedious) leather buckles and the bike can be folded up and placed on a bus or train along with the luggage and you can easily transport it to the opposite end of the country or anywhere else you want to go. It opens up so many options and you will make many friends.

They are also simply just great fun to ride around on.:becool:

....OK, my post about the locally made copy was half in jest (there's also a titanium copy being made in that there China). I say half in jest, because it wasn't so long ago that Britain had a thriving car and motorcycle industry, and simply couldn't see the threat from the East. Before you knew it, Japan was producing and selling cheap, better made, modern designed, reliable and cheap versions, and the rest is history as they say, and did I mention they were also cheap. There's no denying a Brommie has a fine pedigree, and an evolution over a few decades now, but of course being hand made in the UK does have a hefty price tag compared to other parts of the world. So, all I'm saying is, don't get too complacent about a product being so special and homegrown, history can repeat itself.

Just saying like......^_^

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Regarding the rack....
I added one to my S6L as you can’t roll the thing around without the rack, and it helps greatly. But the standard rack is fairly but not totally useless for carrying things and is quite heavy and ugly so I’m thinking of removing it and replacing with a lightweight non OEM rack designed as an aid to rolling her folded rather than rack duties. The front block and associated bags work brilliantly.

Have the newer versions been changed in this regard? The guy in the shop was showing my the M6L being wheeled around

gizmo1994

M6L at £975 is good. Just a shame it is Evans..... We got a M6L with dyno lights and Brooks saddle brand new from Fudges this time last year for £995.

Attachments

• 778599DD-7ECA-4E7B-8328-981D7059AD0A_1_201_a.jpeg
    778599DD-7ECA-4E7B-8328-981D7059AD0A_1_201_a.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Got my sums slightly wrong - trigger pulled at £985 at evans.

Looking forward to getting it!

Will it be given boxed or can I just cycle it away the same day?

12boy

Guru
If you have room to store it, I would retain the box in case you need to mail it somewhere someday. I had to mail mine and convert a mtn box from the LBS to fit. They mailed it back in a Brompton box so I have one now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Have the newer versions been changed in this regard? The guy in the shop was showing my the M6L being wheeled around
Don't know whether they have changed. We had 2 (with eezy-wheels) and neither of them were any good for moving more than a few feet, hence the costly and ugly rack addition as a solution.

vickster

Legendary Member
Got my sums slightly wrong - trigger pulled at £985 at evans.

Looking forward to getting it!

Will it be given boxed or can I just cycle it away the same day?
Surely they’ll build and PDI it for you if you’ve done click and collect

did you go through quidco for cashback? (4.6%)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Brommies arrive from the factory fully built and folded in a box.

My local dealer tells me most don't need any more than unboxing.

The box is sturdy and re-usable.

Worth keeping if you think you might want to send the bike somewhere.

Top Bottom