Should I buy a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
....OK, my post about the locally made copy was half in jest (there's also a titanium copy being made in that there China). I say half in jest, because it wasn't so long ago that Britain had a thriving car and motorcycle industry, and simply couldn't see the threat from the East. Before you knew it, Japan was producing and selling cheap, better made, modern designed, reliable and cheap versions, and the rest is history as they say, and did I mention they were also cheap. There's no denying a Brommie has a fine pedigree, and an evolution over a few decades now, but of course being hand made in the UK does have a hefty price tag compared to other parts of the world. So, all I'm saying is, don't get too complacent about a product being so special and homegrown, history can repeat itself.

Just saying like......^_^

Are you a market trader? They sell lots of hooky knock off copies of premium branded goods? I would never dream of buying counterfeit copies as you are just ripping off the original designer and manufacturers, unless of course the design manufacture etc has been legitimately sold on or the copy is with full consent of the real deal owners of the product. Wait till the cheap Chinese copy folds in half on you as you cycle down a steep hill or along the Marylebone Road in busy traffic.

Crankarm

Guru
Got my sums slightly wrong - trigger pulled at £985 at evans.

Looking forward to getting it!

Will it be given boxed or can I just cycle it away the same day?

Good choice. Enjoy your new Brompton. I think £985 is pretty close to what I paid for mine back in 2004 and 2006 so in real cost they have become a lot cheaper.

Don't let it out of your sight as they are very very nickable. I got my second ML6 from Evans back in 2006. My first one I bought in 2004 was stolen from outside Senate House in London right under the gaze of a CCTV camera. It and no one saw anything. Neither security nor the police were remotely interested. Total indifference. I loved that bike.

I don't use it so much now though, but when I have to, it has proved invaluable as others have said on a train journey or in the back of the car. I've toured the Pyrenees on mine shortly after I got it for one month. I've ridden it up and down the Marie Blanc, the Soulor, Aubisque, Tourmalet and Peyrousade plus extensively in the Basque country and several times around Paris. It coped admirably well with the cobbles now being used by the maillot jaunes as missiles to chuck at the police. Using the Brompton means I can go on the Eurostar and TGV first class with a bike with no hassles unlike with a full frame bike which is a real PITA. It does, like any other derailleur geared bike, need regular cleaning and lubing if you use it regularly in all weather, wet and cruddy weather, as I did for the first few years of ownership. I can ride about 50-55 miles a day on it when touring. Wouldn't want to tide any further on it. I have a Topeak beam rack for carrying luggage on the rear which works quite well plus the touring pannier mounted on the block on the front head tube. Loaded with the front touring pannier it is a lot more composed and stable to ride. I have fitted short bar ends and SPD pedals. I've upgrade the brakes to newer versions and it has had a replacement rear wheel as the first hub died as the weather sealing in it was crap. SMP+ tyres as the Brompton ones weren't sufficiently puncture proof. Apart from that it is totally std.

I won't ever sell it. It's just too useful for when it is needed. Andrew Ritchie MBE who designed it should have been knighted long ago. If Dyson can get one then surely Andrew Ritchie can be given one.

Enjoy yours.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Are you a market trader? They sell lots of hooky knock off copies of premium branded goods? I would never dream of buying counterfeit copies as you are just ripping off the original designer and manufacturers, unless of course the design manufacture etc has been legitimately sold on or the copy is with full consent of the real deal owners of the product. Wait till the cheap Chinese copy folds in half on you as you cycle down a steep hill or along the Marylebone Road in busy traffic.

I think in the case of 'copy' Bromptons it's a bit more complicated.

When Ritchie was trying to get his design made, he did a licensing deal with a Far East company.

Brompton subsequently took legal action but never managed to fully revoke the deal.

Thus some copy Bromptons are officially licensed products, albeit Brompton wish they were not.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
brompty.jpg

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I haven't had chance to ride it yet :-( Weather was grim yesterday and works christmas do today - might try and take it home on public transport later if I don't overdo it.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
The castor wheels are pretty rubbish aren't they?

12boy

Guru
For the last couple of weeks my routes have been affected by ice and snowdrifts so I've been forced to ride on studded snow tires on my Surly Steamroller and my old m400 Carbondale mtn bike. Beats being indoors but sure do miss dry roads on my Brompton. As much as I love the B these conditions would be plain stupid. Isn't really even winter yet.....the hammer really falls in January and February .

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Had chance to use the brompton a few times over christmas:

- Just before breaking up, met a few mates in a local after work. I've got a newborn so going home and back out wouldn't be feasible as the pub's about a 15-20 min walk. Went there straight after work and no issue with the brompton under the table.

- In conwy for christmas, a 20 min walk down into the village. Really fancied a particular beer but didn't fancy the minimum 40 min round trip. 15 mins later, I'm putting the beer in the fridge.

- Went to meet family at a foodhall about 25 mins walk away, took about 8 minutes of pootling through the park.

So far, so good.

Top Bottom