Should I buy a turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_iow

I have recently started riding after a few years off and have been out a few times. Im finding it very hard work, what did I really expect, but I am struggling to both find time to go out and the motivation on these cold winter days.

So I was thinking of getting a turbo to use for a few months during the bad weather but do people recommend them? I know a lot of people have them but all you see are posts about how boring they are etc, so should I buy one? I dont seem to get too bored too quickly and I think it would be a good idea as it would get me exercising but im not sure.

Honest answers please!

montage

God Almighty
yes, I have one, and love it.

aJohnson

Yes, or rollers. I have a turbo and hate it, but when I cant get out I tolerate it. It makes you realize how amazing riding outside is.

Also, if you can put it in front of a TV it'll decrease the boredom.

montage

God Almighty
AlanW said:
Yes, I have one, but hate it.

It is a love hate relationship I do admit.

I'm finding it particuarly useful for rehabilitation regarding knee injuries, so I can just hope off when the pain gets too much

OP
OP
P

Paul_iow

I think thats made my mind up about it then. I think if I can just ride some more in an environment where Im not cold, wet, dodging pot holes etc and get fitter then I will feel better about acutally going out in a few week/months time. Thanks everyone

Chrisc

Guru
Got some rollers a few weeks back and I actually enjoy riding them. Was thinking of a turbo but I reckon rollers make for a better experience with having to concentrate on not riding off the edge. Not fallen over yet and can sit there listening to a podcast for an hour no problem.

Jamesb

i have got a turbo, i do enjoy riding on it when it is cold/icy outside. I set it up infront the tv for a couple of hours and just pedal away.

just jim

I like mine. I've been using it lately sans mp3 player/ TV and all that.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you do buy one, get a heart rate monitor to go with it. As others have written, it's so boring that you need a way of monitoring your work rate so that you can set yourself little targets like sprints, with a HRM it becomes a bit more bearable.

Chrisc said:
Got some rollers a few weeks back and I actually enjoy riding them. Was thinking of a turbo but I reckon rollers make for a better experience with having to concentrate on not riding off the edge. Not fallen over yet and can sit there listening to a podcast for an hour no problem.

same here, it's got to the stage where i look forward to riding them. Haven't got to the level where i can ride hands off the bars yet- or even one handed!

Top Bottom