Should I buy an Induction hob?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just remembered a downside to our 10 year old Neff induction hob. The rings are different sizes and it won't work if you put the wrong size pan on the ring. I find this a bit annoying at times as we don't have much storage so leave all our pans out on the stove 24/7, and it this involves switching them around.

I believe some hobs detect the mass of what's inducting.

The idea is they won't turn on if you put your fingers with a few rings on the hob or a metal serving spoon.

Depending on the electronics are set, the hob can be fussy over very small pans.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

The idea is they won't turn on if you put your fingers with a few rings on the hob or a metal serving spoon.

Depending on the electronics are set, the hob can be fussy over very small pans.
I've never experienced this or any other of the problems being reported tbh, on either of the two hobs we've put in. Last one's a mahoosive 5 'burner' Siemens on a 1 gigawatt (or summat!) spur ^_^

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

They don't detect mass. It's more related to the size of the coils, and what they will heat. You would need a small coil to heat the ring on your finger or a spoon. Generally speaking if you put a small pan on the big 'ring' of an induction hob it won't heat it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Aye, if I go built in I can have whatever, but that means refitting the entire kitchen. I want to slot something freestanding into an existing gap :sad:

Might be worth a google around cookers for caravans/motorhomes.

My static has a standard 60cm cooker, but there are plenty that don't.

I've seen some odd specs such as three burners, and mixed burners - two gas and one electric.

I've not seen any induction hobs, but someone might be making one.

Some of the makes of caravan specfic cookers are not well-known, but I imagine they are not much different in quality to the big names.

One strategy I have seen for small kitchens is to replace the 4 burner hob with a 2 pan induction hob and have additional plug in worktop hobs for bigger special occasions.
Still looking for a unicorn 50cm wide unit.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Fitted an induction hob in my last house when I built our new kitchen. I was surprised on how quick you could boil water etc. Very good control on heat . It was a 5 burner but you could also stick a big huge paella pan on and use 3 burners :smile:
Now we have moved house its a gas hob which if I’m honest I hated at first , but coming round to it ! It’s too small and my dilemma now is what do I do when we replace the kitchen in here. ( it needs done ! ) Quite fancying a range :whistle:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks all for sharing your experience.
Am feeling convinced, but the next wuestion is whether the kind that simply plug-in would be good enough or go for one needing a heftier power supply?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ohh hmm the big 5 burners are rated at 7Kw or greater. Well my Neff one was, defo needs it’s own circuit and minimum 4mm cable probably greater depending on the run to your consumer box.

the small side ones I see these days might not need anything like that ? Not sure what they are rated at ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks all for sharing your experience.
Am feeling convinced, but the next wuestion is whether the kind that simply plug-in would be good enough or go for one needing a heftier power supply?

Buy a fifty quid plug in induction hob from Argos to see how you get on with one.

You could use it in the motorhome after the trial period.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Ohh hmm the big 5 burners are rated at 7Kw or greater. Well my Neff one was, defo needs it’s own circuit and minimum 4mm cable probably greater depending on the run to your consumer box.

the small side ones I see these days might not need anything like that ? Not sure what they are rated at ?
I wanted to "future-proof" when rewiring my house, so ran a hefty 16mm cable to the cooker point. Could easily carry 60 amps.

Ended up buying a range cooker with a 13 amp plug!
Still using it, 20 years on.

Top Bottom