Should I buy this bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
Also, what accessories should I buy?
I guess, some kind of repair kit, reflector, helmet.
just basics I don't have much money

Triban - ok bike but the gear hanger cannot be replaced as it is part of the bike and not a separate bit.

Orbea- decent brand but as it’s 1x you will need to check the cassette ratio to see if will suit flat/hill climbing

Trek/cube/scott - looks ok, basic suspension forks but looks to have hydraulic as opposed to cable disc brakes so frames should be a good keeper to upgrade over time.
If I had to choose should I go with Triban or Orbea?

Also, I received many advice that I don't need suspension, but If I can get cube bike, that is a good brand right? should I go for that?

visually I like Triban most but I will do a lot of hill climbing I don't know if that's the right bike. also not sure if tires are good for rough roads. (or orbea)

Also, how do I check if Orbea has the right ratio?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
But a good suspension fork (!) which is well maintained (!) and set up (!) would bring you an advantage in control and comfort of your ride.
On the other hand: a suspension for adds weight, complexity and cost to a bicycle.

All of the bikes you posted seem to be in the entry level range. There I'd prefer wider tires to a suspension fork.
Because you posted very different bikes: one of them is with a road handle bar, all other are with a flat bar. That changes your position on the bike. You should be aware of that difference.

The other options I posted I think don't have wider tires.
will riding them be too uncomfortable for ~30-50 km distances? some if it on bad road.

can you explain a bit about position? I will do a lot of hill climbing. will that be a problem?

Jameshow

Veteran
Wider / knobly tyres are necessarily more puncture resistant, and you will feel like a tractor on gravel or roads. A hybrid would be a better deal tbh. See what other people ride where you live, pop into bike shops, find a local bike club or Facebook group?

Gillstay

Über Member
If your short of money then buy second hand, as many get very little use and are easily sorted out by your local bike shop.

Also, what accessories should I buy?
I guess, some kind of repair kit, reflector, helmet.
just basics I don't have much money

If I had to choose should I go with Triban or Orbea?

Also, I received many advice that I don't need suspension, but If I can get cube bike, that is a good brand right? should I go for that?

visually I like Triban most but I will do a lot of hill climbing I don't know if that's the right bike. also not sure if tires are good for rough roads. (or orbea)

Also, how do I check if Orbea has the right ratio?
To be honest with the Triban, if you were to fall off or drop the bike and it landed on the drive side you could bent the hanger and/or it would snap and then the bike would be a write off as you cannot replace the hanger as it’s not a separate piece.

I think you would get more bang for your buck with a bike like a schwinn scree. It’s a good value for money brand. https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/schwinn/scree-gravel-bike-911745

OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
To be honest with the Triban, if you were to fall off or drop the bike and it landed on the drive side you could bent the hanger and/or it would snap and then the bike would be a write off as you cannot replace the hanger as it’s not a separate piece.

I think you would get more bang for your buck with a bike like a schwinn scree. It’s a good value for money brand. https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/schwinn/scree-gravel-bike-911745
Thank you. that's helpful. I wouldn't want to break it so fast.

Problem is my options are limited. I need to buy it quickly.
Do you think that Orbea is ok?

hc-cybbztbv7qaab7e42uv-_nc_ht-scontent-ftbs5-2-jpg.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
Yes. You'll be fine with the Orbea.

EckyH

The other options I posted I think don't have wider tires.
will riding them be too uncomfortable for ~30-50 km distances? some if it on bad road.
It depends.
For me the 32mm tyres on my commuter with 5.5-6bar at the rear wheel and 5-5.5bar at the front wheel are comfortable enough on the usual roads with cracks and a pathway as you posted are comfortable enough. But i'm used to ride on fairly narrow road racing tyres (at the moment real 26mm on the Langschenkelrenner) at fairly high pressure. But I practice "active sitting" to prevent jolting through te scenery: searching a smooth line on the street with few pot holes, manhole covers etc. and if I can't avoid one, then I use my arms as sort of suspension device and lift my bum. On the other hand: The other day I tried the real 28mm tyres on the single speed cyclocross bike on a rough gravel path downhill. That was not funny at all due to the permanent shaky image of the path and the landscape.
can you explain a bit about position? I will do a lot of hill climbing. will that be a problem?
On a very rough approximation: road handlebars and road bikes are designed to be fast at downhills, flats and uphills - on relatively smooth surfaces. They have different grip options, eg. in the drops or on the hoods of the brake levers. Due to the different distances (on the hoods the distance to the saddle is wider) and heights (in the drops height of your hands is lower) that varies your body position on the bike. Flat bars - in particular on mountain bikes - are designed to have good control in difficult conditions eg. with bigger rocks and roots on the path.
The scenery here is relatively hilly and the bikes - no matter which handle bar type - weren't the problem. The problem here is between the handle bar and the saddle.

My recommendation is: try out both and choose the type of bike which suits you better.

E.

mikeIow

Guru
If your short of money then buy second hand, as many get very little use and are easily sorted out by your local bike shop.

I would tend towards this, to be honest.

It sounds like your first bike…..rest assured, it won’t be your last!
You can probably pick up something decent for around £100 to start with, then as you get experienced, you will know more about what to look for.
Or visit a local bike shop for a chat: ideally an independent one. They will be likely to size you up and give good advice, and many may have secondhand bikes, or know people with something suitable…or do a deal to tempt you into something they have.

Helmet is important, but you can spend anything from £30 to £300.

On bikes, the massively knobbly tyres are great if you are really off-road, mud-plugging, but will give a lot of rolling resistance on tarmac or even gravel.
Probably the biggest thing to get right for where you are cycling. I like Schwalbe marathon tyres - indeed, I fear I won’t be able to repair a puncture any more, since I must have done over 2k miles with mine without any issues….

I also like a single front ring (less to fail/break!) but 9-10 gears on the back….personal preference. When you have two (or three) front rings, there is often some overlap in gears….

Disc brakes are more effective than rim brakes, especially in the wet.

OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
Thank you everyone for your advice.

I ended up buying BULLS. Also, some of the others were sold out.

Anyways, I guess I ignored a lot of the advice, but I appreciate it anyways.

Problem I have not is the chair feels pretty uncomfortable. maybe I should get a bigger one. Also, I don't have padded shorts.

1713553910447.png

1713554052057.png

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you everyone for your advice.

I ended up buying BULLS. Also, some of the others were sold out.

Anyways, I guess I ignored a lot of the advice, but I appreciate it anyways.

Problem I have not is the chair feels pretty uncomfortable. maybe I should get a bigger one. Also, I don't have padded shorts.

View attachment 728177

View attachment 728178

Bigger saddles aren’t necessarily more comfortable, you need one that is the right width for your sitbones. Well fitted padded shorts will likely help, but don’t go super cheap. Decathlon have a good range

Top Bottom