Should I change from Sora to 105?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, here is the deal, I hate my Sora thumb shifters. For 110 euros I can buy the new 2013 Sora shifters, but for 260 euros I can upgrade to 105 10 speed (front and rear derailleurs, shifters + cables, tiagra cassette and KMC chain). Is this worth doing, or will I not notice the difference (other than aesthetics, i.e. no more washing lines).

Didn’t you already ask pretty much the same question in your last post?

Personally if the components on your bike are not worn then I would save your money. The weight difference is marginal to say the least and you would get a better experience by buying lighter wheels or a similar upgrade to reduce weight.

Sorry @Dragonwight but I disagree.
I already had decent wheels (racing7) on my Giant SCR3 with Sora 3x9 and upgraded the groupset to 105-5600 2x10 and the difference was phenomenal.
The shifting was quicker and smoother, the indexing stays tuned or longer and the power-down to the wheels higher.
The ratios on the gears from a triple to the double were much closer and allowed much better continual cadence while focussing on riding rather than juggling between chainrings and gears to get the gears I needed.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
OK, thanks guys, I guess what I don't want to do is spend the money on new sora shifters and then regret not upgrading to 105. On the other hand the money saved could go towards a future n+1. What do you think?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I already had decent wheels (racing7) on my Giant SCR3 with Sora 3x9 and upgraded the groupset to 105-5600 2x10 and the difference was phenomenal.
The shifting was quicker and smoother, the indexing stays tuned or longer and the power-down to the wheels higher.
The ratios on the gears from a triple to the double were much closer and allowed much better continual cadence while focussing on riding rather than juggling between chainrings and gears to get the gears I needed.

To be fair, Racing 7's are bog standard, entry level training wheels, if you changed to something a bit better you would likely have reaped bigger absolute and immediate gains than switching Sora to 105. The difference in power transfer between Sora and 105 would be absolutely marginal. I suspect what you have experienced is the placebo effect or side effects of reduced weight!

That said, the other comments are fair points and in general I think the move from Sora to 105 would be worthwhile if the frame is a good one!

Well I guess everyone’s experience is different having bikes with Sora & Ultegra 6700 the difference for me is negligible mainly weight. Both bikes shift properly and neither requires much indexing. I wasn’t aware he was going from triple to double I have to say, I assumed he was keeping the same crankset up front. Anyway that’s my 10 pence worth.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
Thanks everyone on your advice I am thinking of just changing the shifters to Sora 2013 for now and looking at an n+1 in the future. Then use the current bike as a winter one. It is a Boardman bike, it seems to suit me well, but being my first road bike I can't comment on the quality of the frame etc.

To be fair, Racing 7's are bog standard, entry level training wheels, if you changed to something a bit better you would likely have reaped bigger absolute and immediate gains than switching Sora to 105. The difference in power transfer between Sora and 105 would be absolutely marginal. I suspect what you have experienced is the placebo effect or side effects of reduced weight!

That said, the other comments are fair points and in general I think the move from Sora to 105 would be worthwhile if the frame is a good one!
The difference between Sora and 105 is more than marginal as with the upgrade from basic Alexrims to Racing7.
In addition, if I had the money to make a bigger jump, I would have old my SCR3 and gone to full carbon, however, us poor people just have to do what we can.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The difference between Sora and 105 is more than marginal as with the upgrade from basic Alexrims to Racing7.
In addition, if I had the money to make a bigger jump, I would have old my SCR3 and gone to full carbon, however, us poor people just have to do what we can.

In terms of weight, shifting mechanics and feel, aesthetics yes, but power transfer.................

mustang1

Legendary Member
I moved from sora/tiagra mix to full 105. Not too much if a big deal really. I only bought 105 coz that was the lowest spec my new bike came with. I havent ridden the new bike much but while I'm not particularly bothered, I have a very slight preference for thumb shifters.

I notice 105 is a touch smoother but that could just be because its a new and unused group set. But I also bought another tiagra bike and comparing new tiara with new 105, the 105 is still smoother. But not so smooth that I would pay extra just for the smoothness.

Top Bottom