Should I change my wheels???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
Going from 50 to 37 will make a difference but only you will know if it’s enough.

I use Roval 38mm carbon rims year round and manage fine with them but on really windy days I would prefer to have something 30mm or less. I’ve thought about buying a cheap alu shallow wheelset but never got around to it, thinking about it that’s probably proof that 38mm is ok for me. But then I don’t live down on the windy Plymouth coast.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Honestly, I think you are overthinking this - just ride them. I ride with 60kg people who use 60mm rims no matter the wind. I have 50mm myself and have never been blown off. I honestly don't think it is a problem at all. If you lived in an exclusively hilly area then perhaps you want the lightest rims available, but for anything else above pootling deeper section win every time.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It’s a road bike. I only want to run one set so if I change it’ll be selling these to fund the new ones.
Do you think there’d be a noticeable difference between 50mm and 37mm regarding stability, from what I can read the VAR rims seem to cope well with crosswinds so that coupled with a shallower depth is swinging me that way.
The only thing is there doesn’t seem to be a massive difference on weight between sets but that could be due to a better hub on the other set, the hunts do seem to be light for their size
No idea, I'm not really into fancy wheels or spending ££s on chasing a slightly lighter bike with diminishing returns, most of my riding is hilly, my best bike has rim brakes, so it runs on fairly standard alloy rimmed clinchers with 27.5 rim height.

I can do maths though, the 37mm have approx 74% of the depth of the 50m so only 55% of the area subject to a cross wind. You notice weight more at the rim than the hub, so if the 37mm have a better (smoother?) but heavier hub that wouldn't stop me buying them. Intuitively less deep rims made from same material (carbon) should be lighter unless the construction is very different.

"You can have strong, light and cheap, but never all 3" holds true.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

T
Honestly, I think you are overthinking this - just ride them. I ride with 60kg people who use 60mm rims no matter the wind. I have 50mm myself and have never been blown off. I honestly don't think it is a problem at all. If you lived in an exclusively hilly area then perhaps you want the lightest rims available, but for anything else above pootling deeper section win every time.
Thats going to be my plan for the moment as the rims I am looking at are out of stock for a few weeks so il get a couple more rides in then make my final choice. It’s not so much the weight more stability probably not helped on my first ride getting a right wobble going on doing 40mph. Also what do people class as hilly on my new route it’s about 3500ft up the first 30miles

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Just to update I did order a new set of wheels. And I have just done my first quick ride on them, seem very nice so far. I ended up getting venn 37mm rims and carbon-ti hubs. Must be good as i got 3 gold medals on some regular hills here and haven’t ridden in over 2weeks.
I got a lot more confident on the hunts after a few rides and I would’ve been happy to continue using them but I would’ve always had that nagging feeling on would I prefer the shallower depth so decided to bite the bullet.
Might have to grab some shallower inner tubes as these stick out quite a lot, what length should I go for?

You've made your decision now but I've been all over the place with 25mm and friends have been rock stable on 50mm rims at the same time. Roll on a few years and I had 62.5mm rims that felt more stable than my previous 25mm rim's its got a lot to do with the rider.

I wore out the rear 62.5mm but still use the front 62.5mm wheel on my TT bike and my current rims are only 35mm mainly because it seemed the best bang for buck of aero and weight; I would have had no hesitation in going deeper again if I determined they offered the best bang for buck.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Not fancy going tubeless?
No tried tubeless on my last bike and it may have been poor setup or user error but it kept clogging one of my valves which was a pain when I was trying to top up my pressures. So I had them taken off and didn’t want to try again on my new set, touch wood I don’t think iv had a puncture in 10’000 miles.
Turns out my wheels had the hub bearings loaded quite tight, I have loosened them off and they roll even better now. Really happy with these wheels they are fine in the wind and seem much nicer going uphill even though the weight saving wasn’t massive. Even got me 2 top 10 places downhill on strava

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just to update I did order a new set of wheels. And I have just done my first quick ride on them, seem very nice so far. I ended up getting venn 37mm rims and carbon-ti hubs. Must be good as i got 3 gold medals on some regular hills here and haven’t ridden in over 2weeks.
I got a lot more confident on the hunts after a few rides and I would’ve been happy to continue using them but I would’ve always had that nagging feeling on would I prefer the shallower depth so decided to bite the bullet.
Might have to grab some shallower inner tubes as these stick out quite a lot, what length should I go for?
View attachment 590693

I'm surprised there's any difference between a deep section rim and a not so deep section rim.

But if there is, won't those semi-solid disc rotors also be playing a part?

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I'm surprised there's any difference between a deep section rim and a not so deep section rim.

But if there is, won't those semi-solid disc rotors also be playing a part?
It’s probably the better quality hubs. The same disc has been fitted to both wheels.il be going for a proper longer ride tomorrow to properly test them as all been short rides so far

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Well my first full ride never quite went to plan. DI2 ran out of charge, bit annoying iv never checked the level since getting the bike and only considered putting it on charge the day before 😂
Done one of my regular segments today and set a best time by quite a decent margin and it would’ve been 2mins quicker but roadworks caused a diversion at the worst point.
Got to say I’m really happy I decided to change them and would deffo recommend this set up to anyone looking at something mid depth, they climb much better than the hunts I had but don’t seem to loose anything on speed and are much more stable in the side gusts. Who says you can’t buy speed 😉

Top Bottom