Should I exhaust this nincompoop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apollo179

If he's really said "that he could keep up with a real cyclist all day long" then you really should put it to the test , and let us know the outcome , including if he leaves you trailing in his wake.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Some spinning classes are better than others. There's 2 or 3 good instructors at ours - and quite a few who have not an effing clue about real cycling.

Usually finish a 45 session a dripping mess, but it's nothing like "cycling all day"

That said, it's improved my hill climbing very slightly, and my spin-out speed on the fixed has gone from about 125 up to 135.

gavintc

Guru
I have a friend (well, aquaintance!), who is also a nincompoop.

I have branded him thus, because he goes to those "spinning" classes in the gym. Strangely, he drives to the gym to do the aforementioned classes and then drives home again.

He tells me that spinning is better than real cycling for fitness and that he could keep up with a real cyclist all day long.

He's the same height as me and I know I can get hold a bike that would fit him; would it be unkind of me to take him out on a non-stop 40 or 50-miler? (i.e. several hours in the saddle, rather than just 30 mins on an exercise bike, which he reckons gets you just as fit as riding up and down bloody big hills for hours)

The trouble is, I don't want to damage him! It takes a fair bit of training to get to the level of being able to ride a fast 50 miler! I have a feeling he may actually collapse en-route (literally).

I really do not understand why you call this man a nincompoop. Someone that does a gym class is at least doing some exercise. I suggest the nincompoops are the ones who do no physical activity. Personally, I would wish him all the best - spinning is good exercise, it is not cycling, but it rates a damn site higher than being a couch potato.

Tyres23

I did 6 months 3-4 spin classes a week all level 3 (hardest) 45 minutes long now cycle 40-50 miles when I'm not just op and the two just don't compare to me . 3 hours ycling enjoying the scenery with killer hills ilive but get me in a roomfir 45 mins with my favourite crazed instructor I also love it I would call a spin class in my opinion a 10-15 mile time trial but find them very good for interval training and upping active recovery
Feel like I work out more when I take the old SPd shies as well

raindog

er.....
A cyclist in good condition will manage a spinning class.

A spinner in good condition will struggle to keep up with said cyclist on a 50-mile ride.

Give him HELL! :evil:
+1
take him on a good ride with some decent hills - that'll screw 'im.
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom