Should I exhaust this nincompoop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
+1
A cyclist in good condition will manage a spinning class.

A spinner in good condition will struggle to keep up with said cyclist on a 50-mile ride.

Give him HELL! :evil:

Hes laid the challenge down (by saying he could keep up with you) not you.

It is your duty as a man to accept.

Keep us updated! Before/during/after photos would be good!

Fifelad

Veteran
Spinning classes look piss boring to me apart fom mabye looking at some fit totty ;) I can never fathom out people who would drive there and back; bet he parks as close as possible to the door of the gym too :whistle:

I say get it right up him !!

Andy500

I go spinning and complete decent long bike rides as well, been road cycling for a number of years and started spinning classes last autumn due to the ice and snow stopping me getting out on the bike. Been spinning now for very nearly a year and spin 7x/wk with two of these back to back sessions giving 1.5 to 2 hrs of spinning and the rest 45 min sessions.

Also get on the road bike 3 to 4 times/wk and generally do 40 miles +. Completed a 100 miler a couple of weeks ago in 5.5hrs on my own and did a 41.3 mile ride today in 2hrs and 3 mins again on my own, so didn't get any benefits from drafting other riders.

From my experiences doing both activities they are both equally hard as I always go at my max all the time and have found that I burn similar amounts of calories i.e. about 900/hr spinning or on the road bike. In terms of heart rate I've hit the highest heart rate doing standing sprints during spinning (I'm 50 yrs old and regularly hit 186 beats/min during standing sprints), hit 175 beats/min climbing one of the hardest climbs in the uk which was Hardnott Pass in the the Lake District about 3 wks ago (pleased to say I got to the top without stopping), immediately followed this up by climbing Wrynose pass and then Kirkstone Pass. One thing I will definitely vouch for is that Spinning has improved my road cycling and hill climbing dramatically, also lost 2 stones in weight in the last year. I would not have been able to cycle through the lake district and complete those climbs if it hadn't been for Spinning.

For any novice cyclist but who regularly goes spinning they would have the fitness for cycling but will struggle spending so much time in the saddle as during spinning classes there is a lot of time spent doing standing sprints and long hard hill climbs. You don't spend that much time actually sat in the saddle during spinning classes.

Be careful what you challenge him to as you may be surprised at what he can achieve.

abo

Why pay to do spinning classes? Ride fixed.

:thumbsup:

I've started going to the gym with my OH as she got a bunch of free passes. I've been using the spinning bikes there instead of the exercise bikes as I find the latter to be like going fast on a Royal Mail bike or something, and the saddles are like sofas...

siadwell

Guru
Lol! Quite, my rowing is more like Wind in the Willows ...

The rat fetched a wicker picnic basket. "Shove that under your feet!"

"What's inside?"

"There's cold chicken inside it," said Rat, "cold-tongue-cold-ham-cold-beef-pickled-gherkins-salad-french-rolls-cress-sandwiches-potted-meat-ginger-beer-lemonade-sodawater — "

"Oh stop!" cried Mole in ecstasy. "This is too much!"

"Do you think so?" said Rat, seriously. "It's only what I always take on these little outings."

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Take him up The Avenue (NOT a euphamism!) on a Saturday with Scum playing a London club at St Mary's. That'll soon teach him the difference between cycling and spinning.

Fiona N

Veteran
Obviously a member of the CTC (Cake To Cake)

:biggrin: Not heard that one

Re: OP's dilemma - just make sure there are plenty hills in the first 10 miles so if he crumples a bit, at least he should be able to make his own way home :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spinning is only interval training. You can easily do that on a bike without having to ride like a loon, ease off, by picking a hilly route.

TBH I'd be worried about his ability to ride a bike full stop before challenging them to a spin class.

Anyway, if you are out on the road even for a 30 minute training session, as a bear minimum I'd expect to come back a sweatty mess.

Take the guy on a fast 10 mile spin - that should be about 30 minutes - less than a spin class - see if he's still with you after 100 yards.

400bhp

Guru
I did a 100 miler last month and it was easier then a 45 min spinning class, that said i didn't have a crazed women instructor pushing us to the edge of exhaustion whilst peddling nicely along the lanes of Cheshire.

Spinning is a hard thing if you push yourself to the limit and i do it once a week, But give me the open road any day .

Grrrr-pedalling

You are comparing apples with pears.

At both spinning and cycling the level of exertion is dependant on how hard you want to push yourself.

Top Bottom