Should I get a better lock (or just get over myself)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kumquat

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my bike from an old and inexpensive MTB to a shiny new cyclocross bike (carrera crixus). I know a lot of you have really good bikes, but I'm proud of my 250 quid halfrauds special and am super paranoid that something will happen to it.

I currently use an abus chain as my primary lock- something like this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/685-bike-chain-lock-75cm-black-id_8244438.html and a cable lock to secure the wheels.
90% of the time, I am content with the level of security they provide- my bike is either in a bike shed, or surrounded by literally dozens of bikes that are more expensive and probably easier to steal- i am amazed by how many people lock their 500+ bike with a cheap, thin cable lock!

However, for occasional more "risky" trips (ie supermarket, high street) where it will be more "exposed" I have avoided using my new bike- which is ridiculous! What's the point of having a bike and not using it. So I have decided that I need to either
1) Stop being daft, once it's got a bit of mud on it no-one will notice your bike, it'll be fine
2) Get a better lock. Anyone have any experiences of "Onguard Brute lk8001"? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnum-ONGU...LK8001/dp/B00AWAJYF0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) I know you get what you pay for but it's rated gold and frankly I can't afford to spend 60 quid on a bikelock (that's 3 weeks food for a poor student like me!)

I'm also worried that even if my bike is securely locked it will be vandalised, please reassure me that in 1 hour in broad daylight in a relatively public area this is unlikely!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Locks don't stop opportunist thieves.
But if your bike is locked up better then the one beside it then it gives a thief an easier choice... ie that bike, not yours.

The Onguard D Lock is far better then any chain lock. Just make sure you fill the whole lock with the bike and to what ever you are locking it to.

jack smith

Veteran
Get a new lock dont risk it at all its a horrid feeling when your bike gets nicked mine was a few k's worth but even if it was 50 quid id still be devistated!

sidevalve

Über Member
Locks do stop 'opportunist' thieves - it's the professional they don't stop. Any lock can be cut and 95% with croppers [by the time they are cropper proof you are into m/cycle lock territory and the lock A - costs more than the bike and B - weighs more than a weeks shopping and the bike combined].
A couple of tips - let no part of the lock touch the floor, even small croppers will cut a biggish chain/cable if they can be braced on the ground and jumped on. Second use two different locks/types. Yes it's a pain but criminals hate messing about - they want a quick cut, grab, go. What they don't like is the possibility of you appearing and giving them a good kicking.
Think time V risk and you're on the right track.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
A D lock around the frame AND a cable lock around the frame and wheels/wheel means double the trouble for the thief.

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

A D lock around the frame AND a cable lock around the frame and wheels/wheel means double the trouble for the thief.

Yeah, I was planning for D lock for rear wheel + frame and cable or chain (obviously the chain is heavier, but it's more portable than the cable which isnt very flexible) that I've already got for front wheel

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a personal alarm fitted to all my bikes. If the bike is moved the alarm goes off and it is loud. This is the type I have, they are cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vibration...867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf0830033

If someone is going to chop the chain it will go off and they wont want to hang around.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think I've got both an On Guard lock and a Magnum lock (very similar), and at the cheaper end of the market. I've frequently locked mine up in the city centre and up near the university, two locations that I know bikes go missing from and so far I've been successful. As others say, think about where so not tucked away in a corner out of sight, D lock through frame and back wheel and occasionally I even get the crank in there too as well as the stand. Next to others with weaker locks.

Sara_H

Guru
I used the Bike Radar reviews when deciding what locks to get as they do some quite extensive tests on the locks.

I ended up with an Abus Granit x plus and an Abus chain o steel.
I usually only use the d lock as the chain is very heavy, so I only take it out if I know I'm leaving the bike somewhere well dodgy!

Top Bottom