Should I get back into Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello, I've been on and off with cycling since around 2015. But this year, I don't need to tell anybody about the kind of crap we've all endured in regards to working from home or not being able to enjoy life outside of the office or job like we're all used to.

Last December/January this year I cycled with a cheap Halfords bike, using a car carrier I'd cycle into the city and around the two bridges here (took around 45 mins) and do this pretty much 3-4 times a week in the night. Though it was cold, never felt it and felt quite relaxing.

I gave up in May as my cheap old bike needed around £60 of parts which weren't worth fixing and I decided to just go walking instead. That same 45 minute cycle takes over 2 hours walking though!

I'm thinking more of the mental health benefits, getting away from a screen when 5pm hits instead of sitting around, in the same room, with nothing else to do but look at the same screen after a while.

Do you recommend something like a Brompton? As I'd like to keep the bike in the car most of the time and not worry about a cycle carrier and installing / removing, scratching the car, nearly falling off, needing adjusted etc.. Or are there better cheaper foldables?

weareHKR

Yeah go for it, there are a few makes, I think Brompton appears to the most popular, also the most expensive probably.
Thre are quite a few on Amazon, however, I doubt you'll get hold of one right now! :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are still working from home, why not have an extended lunch break ? Unless your employer is an ass. I'll be off line twice a week for 2 hours at lunch doing a 80 minute ride (changing and shower fill the rest). You can then make up time else where. It's also very good for mental health.

Bromptons have a double fold mechanism and 16" wheels for carrying on crowded public transport.
More standard folders have one hinge and 20" wheels. They are usually much cheaper and fit into the boot of most cars. Dahon are the market leaders. I have a full size Dahon folder that has been my everday commuter for 12 years.
Brommies are good and if you want one it wont be a mistake but see what folded size suits your requirements.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What are Brompton's like? What did you dislike about them?

For a start I didn't like the ride.
After a hard and fast daily commute of 30 miles in all weathers, I found they don't hold up well component wise.
A certain case for paying a premium price for the name.
9 months and I sold it off. Luckily they hold their value, so got most of my money back.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
What are Brompton's like? What did you dislike about them?
It does take a short while to get used to twitchy steering. Because there is no stem, the steering is very direct. You only have to think about turning left or right and you are away. Once you get used to this, and it only takes a short while, the Brompton bikes are great. I have had one for many years, a basic M3.
I don't dislike anything about them.

I love my Brompton. I've plenty of other bikes but the Brompton is the easiest to ride and the best round town.

For a start I didn't like the ride.
After a hard and fast daily commute of 30 miles in all weathers, I found they don't hold up well component wise.
A certain case for paying a premium price for the name.
9 months and I sold it off. Luckily they hold their value, so got most of my money back.
How fast can you go on a Brompton compared to a road bike?

T4tomo

Guru
How fast can you go on a Brompton compared to a road bike?
Quite different to a road bike to ride, they flex at the rear hinge to gives some suspension, which makes them less efficient uphill, but they ride pretty will. obviously slightly slower, otherwise the pro would use them in the TdeF etc. but as "fast" whatever that means as say a flat bar hybrid, particularly with S type bars, as they sit slightly lower than M type etc so more aero and more like a full size bike riding position.

As stated above, they can be a bit marmite. They are the best choice if you need to take a bike on crowded public transport as part of your commute. You haven't really indicted what or if you're considering one for.

Top Bottom