Should I have my car's rear axle area painted with underseal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

I mentioned my car's supposed axle rust to a bloke who likes tinkering with classic cars and he said the same, that the rust will only be surface rust and it'd take many years to completely rust away. I wonder if using

View attachment 666596

would be better than underseal? Doesn't Hammerite harden rust and stop it spreading, whereas underseal just keeps water and salt from getting at the metal?🤔

Worse than leaving it bare IMHO (I type from experience) - I wouldn't even use hammerite on shelving in the garage! Hammerite rust remover is good though.

Fastpedaller

I think I might keep the car now and not get another one in march/April. I usually get another car every two years, usually in those months, but looking at the price of second hand cars maybe I won't. I've looked at 2012 Fiat 500C's. They range from a ridiculous 7.5 grand when low mileage, to £3,900 like mine when high mileage (mine's is just over 80,000. I did fancy a post 2015 Fiat 500C, but I'm not too keen on the new bits like those in your face rear lights and that computerised 'sound system. I Just want a CD player and a radio, not a dangerous when fiddling with touch screen thingy!! 🧐

That is good logic. Also, if you know your car has done 80k (genuine) that isn't a problem.... buying a low-mileage one could (even in these modern times) end up with a higher mileage car! It's easier to 'correct' the mileage with digital odometers than the old type where the numbers don't quite line up. With modern digital ones you need to get right into the ECU to see the actual mileage (equipment required). A high mileage (if regular use and/or long journeys) is much better for a car than short journeys where the engine doesn't get hot. I'd prefer a 10-year-old car with 100k real usage compared to 10k with short-journey usage!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well it's done now, so it's now under sealed whether good or bad, but in my opinion that's good and that's what counts. Fifty quid isn't bad at all. I bet not many places would strip a door panel down to fix a non opening door for 50 quid, never mind under sealing the car as well!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think I might keep the car now and not get another one in march/April. I usually get another car every two years, usually in those months, but looking at the price of second hand cars maybe I won't. I've looked at 2012 Fiat 500C's. They range from a ridiculous 7.5 grand when low mileage, to £3,900 like mine when high mileage (mine's is just over 80,000. I did fancy a post 2015 Fiat 500C, but I'm not too keen on the new bits like those in your face rear lights and that computerised 'sound system. I Just want a CD player and a radio, not a dangerous when fiddling with touch screen thingy!! 🧐

Nice for its age, but look at the price!:ohmy:

2013_fiat_500c-pic-7775360754579499968-1024x768.jpg

https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/lis...iteo&cgfv=0.25&cgfr=2&cgfab=Q&px8324=p66&dnet

Fastpedaller

I've had two yellow cars. Both referred to by some as cheese on wheels. Er, I've yet to see cheese that's yellow! Off white yes, but not yellow. 🤔

We have some in our fridge - Cathedral City mature

Top Bottom