Should I have my car's rear axle area painted with underseal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@Accy cyclist If you are looking to keep the car it's best done. Yes it's surface rust as these parts are substantial, but if not checked can get worse. It's fairly cosmetic, but it all depends upon how long you want the car. Given it's age, most cars do go a bit crusty on the suspension components. We tend to keep our cars, and I'm always checking stuff, so am usually under the car on a regular basis, so any corrosion get's coated. Yes hammerite will work also, but it's the time it takes. The garage will probably brush off any loose corrosion then spray it with wayoyl underseal (basically black waxoyl). It will keep the parts clear for a few years.

Or you could leave it, especially if you are likely to change the car.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've left my car overnight in his garage, so the mechanic can underseal it first thing in the morning. I don't get up till 12pm at the earliest, so it's better this way. He's going to wire brush and sand it down then apply Simoniz underseal.

Gillstay

Über Member
It was picked up on our Fiat Panda. It's finally getting put out to pasture this month. :sad:

Still, nearly 100,000 miles on the clock - flew through (mostly) all it's MOTs and has never broken down.

Can't be that bad :becool:

We had one like that, 1.2 and was written off twice, but just kept going and went to a dozen different countries. Sold it for the interior in the end but it still was going well.

dicko

Guru
Don’t use Underseal use Waxoyl. Spray on or brush on, prevents rust and if it gets scratched it ‘creeps’ and fils the gap.

IMG_2142.jpeg

dicko

Guru
Don't use Waxoyl, use one of the many Lanolin sprays. Inexpensive, requires minimal prep, and is easy peasy to DIY apply.

WaxOyl approved by MOD for rust prevention on everything Army, Navy and RAF use. None of the others qualify, sorry.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Waxoyl is fine, but the Lanolin stuff is realy easy to apply. Might try this on my next motor.

I've painted most of the suspension on MrsF Qashqai in aquasteel in lockdown. Really good inhibitor. It's now a 10 year old car and the underneath looks spot on.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Nothing wrong with maintenance.
But if this is the same mechanic who at mention of water ingress said the cure was to drill holes in the floorpan; well I'd be looking for another mechanic.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think I might keep the car now and not get another one in march/April. I usually get another car every two years, usually in those months, but looking at the price of second hand cars maybe I won't. I've looked at 2012 Fiat 500C's. They range from a ridiculous 7.5 grand when low mileage, to £3,900 like mine when high mileage (mine's is just over 80,000. I did fancy a post 2015 Fiat 500C, but I'm not too keen on the new bits like those in your face rear lights and that computerised 'sound system. I Just want a CD player and a radio, not a dangerous when fiddling with touch screen thingy!! 🧐

Top Bottom