Should I have my car's rear axle area painted with underseal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Thanks for the replies folks! I wonder if I could go to one of those 'big' tyre centre places and ask them to put my car on their hydraulic jack, or whatever they're called, so I could see underneath?🤔 Would they charge me just for that, or could I blag it and say I think the brake pipes might be corroded etc. When they see they aren't (well I hope they aren't) I just say thanks for looking, then drive away.:whistle:

'I'd like one of your free safety checks please my good man. May I watch?'

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm assuming you can't climb under with a tin of paint, so £40 sounds good to me.
No, I can't climb under. I couldn't even crouch down to use a mirror which wouldn't give that much indication anyway. He's not a rip off type mechanic, so I do trust him. I'm just thinking that he's thinking "times are hard and he (me) seems to have a spare bob or two, so where's the harm".:rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All I'll say it's worth doing. I do all our cars. Just saves having crusted on bolts etc when time comes to do maintenance. It affects all cars. My son's mate had a 13 year old Audi A3 and the sub frame and rear axel were too corroded to fix any suspension issues. It's all down to how well the car has been looked after before you get it - it's not always visible. Regular use in bad weather and no cleaning off the underside on occasion, car living by the sea etc etc.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
For £40 let them do it. an you get down and shine a torch under, you'll soon see.
Maybe I could give a 'street urchin' a fiver to get underneath and take a few pics of this supposed rust with his phone.🤔
All I'll say it's worth doing. I do all our cars. Just saves having crusted on bolts etc when time comes to do maintenance. It affects all cars. My son's mate had a 13 year old Audi A3 and the sub frame and rear axel were too corroded to fix any suspension issues. It's all down to how well the car has been looked after before you get it - it's not always visible. Regular use in bad weather and no cleaning off the underside on occasion, car living by the sea etc etc.
The car had two previous 'lady' owners, who both had it serviced regularly etc ( I have the log book of all garage visits), if that's an indication of it being 'well looked after?🤔

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Maybe I could give a 'street urchin' a fiver to get underneath and take a few pics of this supposed rust with his phone.🤔

The car had two previous 'lady' owners, who both had it serviced regularly etc ( I have the log book of all garage visits), if that's an indication of it being 'well looked after?🤔

Nope it's not a good indication. Dropping the car in the garage once a year isn't ideal. You can more or less guarantee they (or most blokes) won't have run the hose over the underside. Run your fingers inside the rear arch lip, how much dried mud falls out ? I hose off the underside and arches each time I was the cars (which is usually weekly).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Run your fingers inside the rear arch lip, how much dried mud falls out

Try that with my car and you will have to go in for a shower and change of clothes..... :laugh:

I'm confused. Accy, haven't you only bought this car recently? I thought you had a Mini that kept draining the battery. Maybe take the 'new' car back to the supplier and ask them to explain why the back of your car is so rusty?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
It was picked up on our Fiat Panda. It's finally getting put out to pasture this month. :sad:

Still, nearly 100,000 miles on the clock - flew through (mostly) all it's MOTs and has never broken down.

Can't be that bad :becool:

tyred

Legendary Member
I wouldn't consider it unusual for the rear axle beam to have quite a bit of surface rust. It should be a substantial structure so unlikely to weaken it for many years which is why it will still pass test. Would do no harm at all though to clean it and paint it though, especially if you intend to keep the car long term. It will prevent it from developing into a problem.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wouldn't consider it unusual for the rear axle beam to have quite a bit of surface rust. It should be a substantial structure so unlikely to weaken it for many years which is why it will still pass test. Would do no harm at all though to clean it and paint it though, especially if you intend to keep the car long term. It will prevent it from developing into a problem.
I mentioned my car's supposed axle rust to a bloke who likes tinkering with classic cars and he said the same, that the rust will only be surface rust and it'd take many years to completely rust away. I wonder if using

1667262439196.png

would be better than underseal? Doesn't Hammerite harden rust and stop it spreading, whereas underseal just keeps water and salt from getting at the metal?🤔

Jameshow

Veteran
Can we start a "fund me" page to raise the £40 required to get the job done?
It would be quicker and less painful..... :rolleyes:

He's more than welcome to drive over to mine I'll paint it and we can talk bikes!

And he can paint my transit!!

Or on Saturday we could paint it in oxenhope whilst we wait for the forum riders!🤣🤣

Top Bottom