Should I or shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I am thinking of buying a Cube Attain GT Pro for £1499 at the moment. My dilemma is that I will be 68 in October and I already have 3 road bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Roubaix Elite and Cube Peloton. I have sold my Boardman Comp as I don't like straight handlebars. So, at my old age, do I really need another bike considering that I only ride about 1500 miles a year max?

Thank the lord that you aren't contemplating buying a 4th car here on CC. :ohmy:

Serious answer is no - use the money to take one of your current bikes abroad and ride someplace new to get your mileage up.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
So, at my old age, do I really need another bike considering that I only ride about 1500 miles a year max?

Need? maybe not, but if you can afford it & you want it, then why the hell not :okay: But as Vickster says, why not look at something a little different like Ti. Bought my Van Nic new for about £1400 a couple of years ago & don't regret it for a single minute & just splashed out on an Enigma Ti, been saving for a year or so & Mrs SD gave me a wedge for my upcoming 50th. Wasn't sure I could actually spend that much on a bike, but have & love it.

This. MTB? Touring bike for camping or credit card touring? And one day, definitely consider an e bike.
Yes, or a bike for tootling to the shops or, for breezing to nice pubs on, a quality folder for using with the oap bus pass. For the days when you don't want to/feel no need to race/pretend to race.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it necessary, do I really need another bike?:blush:
Do you regularly ride all the ones you have? Do you use them in different ways and is there a niche in your stable that this one fills or is it a doubling up (ie could you sell or repurpose one you have)

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Do you regularly ride all the ones you have? Do you use them in different ways and is there a niche in your stable that this one fills or is it a doubling up (ie could you sell or repurpose one you have)
I ride each one depending of where I am going. For example, the Allez is for short rides, The Cube, because of its better gearing is for more hilly rides and the Roubaix for longer rides , although I do rotate between the two.

vickster

Legendary Member
I ride each one depending of where I am going. For example, the Allez is for short rides, The Cube, because of its better gearing is for more hilly rides and the Roubaix for longer rides , although I do rotate between the two.
And the new bike, which use?

nickAKA

Über Member
Is it necessary, do I really need another bike?:blush:

You probably don't need it, but in this life you don't 'need' most the things you end up buying. If you couldn't afford it you wouldn't be considering it, so that's the only real argument against out of the window.

I was contemplating a TT bike the other day just because it's different to the current roster. Now THAT is a crap argument to justify a purchase...

(Talked myself out of it with some help from a friend)

Top Bottom