Should I or shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BromptonChrispy

I’d be tempted to agree about buying an MTB. It can be a lot safer - no cars, and doesn’t have to be mad downhill stuff. A nice forest trail is a great new thing for a ”roadie”. A wholly different dimension to your life!^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Good point. Maybe I don't need it after all and spend the money on something more useful when the time comes.
Like a Ti gravel bike with mudguards ;)

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have decided I am not buying a new bike. To be fair, I just can't justify the expense, but to compensate, I am going to upgrade my 7 year old Specialized Allez with a new derailleur, probably Claris as I don't really need 105 and new shifters. Going to my LBS tomorrow to price it up. I expect it will be much cheaper than a brand new bike.

Interesting and possibly surprising decision. Congratulations. If you like bikes, and have the room, I'd still be inclined to get another type of bike. You can get a lot of bike for well under your original budget if you shop around. There are also some second hand bikes to be had in near mint condition in terms of running quality - from fellow cyclists whose pride would never let them send one of their bikes to pot. I'd also maybe spend some money on a bike maintenance course, if until now this hasn't been your thing. Or a good book. Time to get fettling perhaps :smile:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Interesting and possibly surprising decision. Congratulations. If you like bikes, and have the room, I'd still be inclined to get another type of bike. You can get a lot of bike for well under your original budget if you shop around. There are also some second hand bikes to be had in near mint condition in terms of running quality - from fellow cyclists whose pride would never let them send one of their bikes to pot. I'd also maybe spend some money on a bike maintenance course, if until now this hasn't been your thing. Or a good book. Time to get fettling perhaps :smile:
I appreciate your viewpoint and value your comments but the only maintenance I do myself is changing brake pads, lubricate the chain, puncture repairs and cleaning my bikes. Anything else, I trust my local LBS. But you are right, if there was bike maintenance classes in my area, I would be happy to join one.

In truth gavroche I'd skip the course and just get this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-Blue-Bicycle-Repair/dp/B01KXIB6T2

I have been on a couple of good courses but my mind can never hold lots of stuff it's "taught". I find it better to learn by doing, with someone, like this book, looking over my shoulder to check that I don't **** it all up. I do most things on my bike but with that book to hand. I usually even double check which way to turn stuff!

Just take it slowly. The style of the book is very methodical which helps. No literary flourishes.

tom73

Guru

I have been on a couple of good courses but my mind can never hold lots of stuff it's "taught". I find it better to learn by doing, with someone, like this book, looking over my shoulder to check that I don't **** it all up. I do most things on my bike but with that book to hand. I usually even double check which way to turn stuff!

Just take it slowly. The style of the book is very methodical which helps. No literary flourishes.

Funny you've ref this book I only just came across it today and was thinking better get a copy :smile:

BromptonChrispy

Time, that book a good bike stand and the internet are well worth the trouble. Liberating and life enhancing. Good luck

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Took the bike in this morning for an estimate. The lady in the shop couldn't understand why I wanted an upgrade as the bike is good. Anyway, she will ring me once she has worked it out.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Had a call from the nice lady from my LBS this morning. The quote for two Full Claris shifters and Claris derailleur, including labour is £260. I am happy with that and will get it done when I get back from my holiday.

vickster

Legendary Member
LBS will be charging full RRP on parts. You could source and pay LBS bolt on fees to fit?

This is my costly SW London LBS price list (plus a fiver per part if you supply)

Attachments

• F071F9FF-93A9-4C75-BE4C-58610980E588.png
    F071F9FF-93A9-4C75-BE4C-58610980E588.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom